Drivetrain "Bump" feeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Retired Coastie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Long time reader, first time poster,

I have a 13 with the Pentastar/8 speed combination. Around 8000 miles my truck started to feel like the driveline slips in and out when I come to a stop. In other words, I come to a stop, and when I let my foot off the brake, the driveline or transmission feels like it is engaging/disengaging and I feel a "bump." I can't really explain the feeling. The dealer described it as "backlash." Of course, the dealer couldn't duplicate my problem.

I am now starting to notice it when I come to a near stop. I can feel something like its moving back and forth. Have any of you experienced this? I have had rear wheel drive vehicles do this before, and I find it irritating as hell.

Give me a reply if you have experienced this, or if you know what it is.

Thanks in advance.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
what was the problem with the other cars you've had that do the same thing?

ive had a lot and have never had this happen

OP
OP
R

Retired Coastie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
what was the problem with the other cars you've had that do the same thing?

ive had a lot and have never had this happen

Well, I've had one. If I remember, it was the yoke at the forward end of the drivline. It would bind as it sliped in and out of the transmission.

As I remember, they never could fix the problem.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
did you tell the dealer to check that?

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What size fuel tank...I have a 32 gallon and was experiencing the same thing, come to find out it was the fuel sloshing around...usually when I'm between half and 3/4 tank...if you're not certain it's the drivetrain

TurboLab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Read my post regarding this same thing but my transmission did the same when decelerating . Mine would down shift very hard from 3rd to second mostly. The best way to show a tech what it is doing is find a hill and accelerate to 40 mph and let off on the throttle, mine kicked like a mule and sounded like some one hit the pinion gear with a hammer. P.S my transmission wen out on friday @ 2000 miles:suicide:

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Most people that have encountered this problem found that it was the fuel moving around in the tank as JJP71584 had mentioned. But after reading Turbolab's post.... I would definitely take it to the dealer and have them look it over using the same method as mentioned above.

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 SLT Crew 4x4, 8-spd, Cherry Red
Engine
V-6
Check this link.....

Long time reader, first time poster,

I have a 13 with the Pentastar/8 speed combination. Around 8000 miles my truck started to feel like the driveline slips in and out when I come to a stop. In other words, I come to a stop, and when I let my foot off the brake, the driveline or transmission feels like it is engaging/disengaging and I feel a "bump." I can't really explain the feeling. The dealer described it as "backlash." Of course, the dealer couldn't duplicate my problem.

I am now starting to notice it when I come to a near stop. I can feel something like its moving back and forth. Have any of you experienced this? I have had rear wheel drive vehicles do this before, and I find it irritating as hell.

Give me a reply if you have experienced this, or if you know what it is.

Thanks in advance.
--------------------------
http://www.ramforum.com/f53/8_speed_clunk-36804/

My 2013 Ram 6cyl, 8-spd has been in the shop now for going on 8-days for the dreaded "clunk" and the feel that someone just tapped you in the rear-end

Dealer will not move forward till Chrysler Engineering gives their blessing! The dealership Service Mgr & Mechanic test drove the truck and witnessed the "clunk" and bump feeling and all are at a loss! All pretty well know its something in the drive train!

Took about 3 months for the truck to start the dreaded "clunk", which at first was random, now its all the time!

This will be my 6th warrant claim in 9200-mi :Rant:

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
And Engineering said........

OK, went by to check on my truck, which has been in the shop, this time, now 8-days!

Chrysler Engineering has decided the “clunk “and corresponding bump to the rear feeling, is the transmission! Seems the lower gears are changing at speeds higher than designed! For example low is changing at about 12-13 mph, and should be around 5-mph. OK!!!!!!

They were going to completely “reprogram the transmission” and then would have to take it out and drive it for about 2-hrs, as it has adaptive-driving memory??????? If this is the cause, I look for the “clunk” to return after a few weeks, just my 2-cents.

NOW!!!!! If this re-programming does not work, they will replace the “valve-body” inside the transmission hoping for a fix!!!!

The saga continues.

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Going to take longer ...

OK, went by to check on my truck, which has been in the shop, this time, now 8-days!

Chrysler Engineering has decided the “clunk “and corresponding bump to the rear feeling, is the transmission! Seems the lower gears are changing at speeds higher than designed! For example low is changing at about 12-13 mph, and should be around 5-mph. OK!!!!!!

They were going to completely “reprogram the transmission” and then would have to take it out and drive it for about 2-hrs, as it has adaptive-driving memory??????? If this is the cause, I look for the “clunk” to return after a few weeks, just my 2-cents.

NOW!!!!! If this re-programming does not work, they will replace the “valve-body” inside the transmission hoping for a fix!!!!

The saga continues.
-------
Gotta call from Chrysler saying the Tech working on my truck is now out for a funeral and that to put some one else on it at this point would be the worse thing to do! They said I will not get another update till at least next Tuesday, which will be day #15 on this warranty repair! This is the 6th warranty claim :wtf2:

Seems the reprogramming of the tranny is done, but they are having serious problems with the road test that enables the tranny to re-learn shift points!

Additionally, if all this does not work, they will consider replacing the "valve-body" inside the transmission!

Where the hell does this all end? I have contacted a Lawyer and was advised to hold off on any action till the repair is complete,

The saga continues........

Last edited:

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Still counting......

-------
Gotta call from Chrysler saying the Tech working on my truck is now out for a funeral and that to put some one else on it at this point would be the worse thing to do! They said I will not get another update till at least next Tuesday, which will be day #15 on this warranty repair! This is the 6th warranty claim :wtf2:

Seems the reprogramming of the tranny is done, but they are having serious problems with the road test that enables the tranny to re-learn shift points!

Additionally, if all this does not work, they will consider replacing the "valve-body" inside the transmission!

Where the hell does this all end? I have contacted a Lawyer and was advised to hold off on any action till the repair is complete,

The saga continues........

----------
The morning of day #15, still no truck :Insane:

Every day puts me closer to the 30-days in the shop w/in the 1st 18-months, to qualify for the Lemon Law! This is repair #6 so ....... the wait continues :disgust:

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Still counting.....

Day #16 on this the 6th warranty claim/repair.

Went by the Dealer to day and found nothing they have tried has worked, so far. The "clunk/bump" is still there. Chrysler Engineering has given them a few more things to try! Replacing the "valve body", which was the 2nd try on the list 2-weeks ago, is now moving down the list.

If it stays in the shop till the end of next week, I will qualify for the Virginia Lemon Law :party28:

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Ooooooooooooook.....

Day #16

Gotta a call from the dealer! They said the road-calibration of the transmission, after dumping the software and re-installing, was finally successful.

They said they drove thru a dozen "stops" with NO more "clunk & bump"!

Well, this was warranty claim #6 with a total accumulated days in the shop about 22. I need 30 or more w/in the first 18-mo. (to qualify for the Virginia Lemon Law) and she is only 8-mo old with 9300-mi, Still taking all my repair shop orders to my Lawyer for review, w/in the next week

I wish I had confidence that this is the last of the past Hell, but, I am sure there's more to come

I pick it up tomorrow 1st thing!

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and safe driving!

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Running OK for now!

Day #16

Gotta a call from the dealer! They said the road-calibration of the transmission, after dumping the software and re-installing, was finally successful.

They said they drove thru a dozen "stops" with NO more "clunk & bump"!

Well, this was warranty claim #6 with a total accumulated days in the shop about 22. I need 30 or more w/in the first 18-mo. (to qualify for the Virginia Lemon Law) and she is only 8-mo old with 9300-mi, Still taking all my repair shop orders to my Lawyer for review, w/in the next week

I wish I had confidence that this is the last of the past Hell, but, I am sure there's more to come

I pick it up tomorrow 1st thing!

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and safe driving!

--------------
Picked her up this morning and the "clunk sound and bump feel" are gone! The dealer re=programmed the transmission and had to do a very complicated road calibration, taking two Tech's: one driving and the other monitoring the road test on a lap-top! They needed an almost perfect stretch of flat road, which is scarce as hens-teeth around here.

They put 325-mi on my truck:shakehead:

Now I have 0ver 30 total days in the shop in the 8-mo I have owned this vehicle! This qualifies me for the Virginia Lemon Law :grd:

I've had so many problems with this truck, I am almost afraid to go more that a few miles from home

Last edited:

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I got my truck it had everything I wanted except the 8-speed tranny.

Kind of glad that I got the 6 now after hearing some problems with the 8's.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the 8-speed tranny's, and you will be fine now that they have the bugs out of it.

I believe they are great units. It will just take some time for the dealer networks and service people to get used to working on them.

The service folks can troubleshoot the 6-speed tranny's in their sleep.

After the 8's are out a little longer it will become the same way.

B Red Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Kind of glad that I got the 6 now after hearing some problems with the 8's.

I hear what you are saying, but I wouldn't trade my A8 for an A6 any day...

Makes my Ram w/ 3.21's act like 3.92's

Probably a good thing I haven't ridden in a 5.7/A8 with 3.92's...then I'd be wanting to switch.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are experiencing the bump when stopping, what size bed do you have on your truck, 5.7 or 6.4?

Was reading about the same problem on the 150 forums and it seems to be mostly the 6.6 bed. It has a split drive shaft for the extra length and this seems to be the cause for the bump.

The Ram 6.4 bed also has a split drive shaft so just curious to see if there is a correlation between the two.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Interested to hear if all is well. My old 4th gen is still making me happy I too took risk of being early adopter.

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
--------------
Picked her up this morning and the "clunk sound and bump feel" are gone! The dealer re=programmed the transmission and had to do a very complicated road calibration, taking two Tech's: one driving and the other monitoring the road test on a lap-top! They needed an almost perfect stretch of flat road, which is scarce as hens-teeth around here.

They put 325-mi on my truck:shakehead:

Now I have 30 total days in the shop in the 8-mo I have owned this vehicle! This qualifies me for the Virginia Lemon Law :grd:

I've had so many problems with this truck, I am almost afraid to go more that a few miles from home

------------------

OK! I have a Crew Cab, so therefore, the short bed!

Truck seems to be running OK at present, but keep in mind its been in the shop 6-times in her 8-mo, with over 30-days, total, in the shop (17-days the last time alone).

Guess I got one of the few Lemons and will file a Lemon Law case with my Attorney in January (after the holiday rush).

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and safe motoring!

Last edited:

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2013 5.7l A6 3.92 LSD quad cab. I am experiencing the same bump feel. I do not think its the a8 causing the problem.