DRL Disable for 2012 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys. I recently found a contact at a Dodge dealership here in Canada that is working with me to get my DRL's disabled or changed so i can switch them to the LED strip on the new oem projectors I upgraded to, as currently they are the high beams half power.

We attempted to try the following the directions below, however my year of truck doesn't have a BCM (??), so we couldn't use this as other 2013's have succeeded with.

"Using the Chrysler Diagnostic Engineering Tool:
He selected the BCM, ECU Configuration 2 (CBC Features), DRL Configurations. From the drop down he selected Canadian DRL.

Next he selected DRL Lamp Location, (just below DRL Configurations) and from the drop down selected Turn Signal DRL.

Last, he clicked on the write button, cycled the ignition, and wala, DRLs are on again."

We eventually changed the country code to Mexico and this worked perfect as there was an option to turn the DRL's off. The only problem.... My built in Satellite radio shows the message "SAT Region Error" cause it thinks my truck is Mexican and they only supply to North America. LOL. Can anyone help??

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
So do you now have no DRL's or did you manage to get the LED's working as DRL's?

If you want to disable them why not set it to a US truck and turn them off? Then you shouldn't have any issues with the satellite radio.

OP
OP
Metric Customs
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I now have no DRL's but I was going to order a DRL module online to wire in if I want.

They were saying that when they tried the US settings, there was no option for DRL and when tested they were still on. Mexico being the 3rd choice had the option.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting. I've just ordered the module, and am planning on heading to the dealership in the next day or two to try and have them disable my current drl's. Hopefully I don't run into the same issue...

OP
OP
Metric Customs
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting. I've just ordered the module, and am planning on heading to the dealership in the next day or two to try and have them disable my current drl's. Hopefully I don't run into the same issue...

Let me know what happens! I am stuck between having no drls or having satellite radio.

Let me know if they fix it another way!

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will do. They were busy yesterday and I was in a bit of a rush, so going to try again on Tuesday. I do have an aftermarket headunit too, so not sure if that'll make any difference to the satellite radio issue.

OP
OP
Metric Customs
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will do. They were busy yesterday and I was in a bit of a rush, so going to try again on Tuesday. I do have an aftermarket headunit too, so not sure if that'll make any difference to the satellite radio issue.

How did this end up for your? Did the disable work?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did this end up for your? Did the disable work?

Sorry, forgot about this thread. The first dealer looked at me like I was crazy and said it wasn't possible (I found out they're a ******/incompetent dealer anyway from my two first and last visits). Anyway, 2nd local dealer seemed to know what I was talking about and didn't seem like it'd be an issue. However it would be $115, so I'm still debating if I can justify such an outrageous cost. So right now I have two drl's, lol. For what's it's worth, the drl module works like a charm. I'm sure I will eventually break down and have the dealer disable it... I wish the dealer I bought my truck from and had all my services done wasn't on the other side of the country, I'm sure they'd do it for free.

EDIT: not sure why Bullydog has the ability to disable the drl's but not Diablo!

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, forgot about this thread. The first dealer looked at me like I was crazy and said it wasn't possible (I found out they're a ******/incompetent dealer anyway from my two first and last visits). Anyway, 2nd local dealer seemed to know what I was talking about and didn't seem like it'd be an issue. However it would be $115, so I'm still debating if I can justify such an outrageous cost. So right now I have two drl's, lol. For what's it's worth, the drl module works like a charm. I'm sure I will eventually break down and have the dealer disable it... I wish the dealer I bought my truck from and had all my services done wasn't on the other side of the country, I'm sure they'd do it for free.

EDIT: not sure why Bullydog has the ability to disable the drl's but not Diablo!

Unfortunately that is a pretty standard fee for performing updates, adding options or changing settings. People gotta get paid. But it would be nice if there was a way to get ahold of local techs on here that would be willing to do little stuff like that on the side for much less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately that is a pretty standard fee for performing updates, adding options or changing settings. People gotta get paid. But it would be nice if there was a way to get ahold of local techs on here that would be willing to do little stuff like that on the side for much less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, true enough I guess. Just a harder pill to swallow when it's something that you could probably do yourself if you had access to the tool. Gotta say, one of the things I like about the older 4th gens is you don't need the dealer in order to add every little option. That would be handy. I'm in a couple of local truck groups around, but haven't been able to track down a tech. Bummer.

OP
OP
Metric Customs
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, true enough I guess. Just a harder pill to swallow when it's something that you could probably do yourself if you had access to the tool. Gotta say, one of the things I like about the older 4th gens is you don't need the dealer in order to add every little option. That would be handy. I'm in a couple of local truck groups around, but haven't been able to track down a tech. Bummer.

I was lucky enough to know someone who's wife worked in the dealership, she got me my drls disabled but the truck is still Mexican haha. Where did you get your drl module from and how did it work?

Was there a big hassle wiring it in?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was lucky enough to know someone who's wife worked in the dealership, she got me my drls disabled but the truck is still Mexican haha. Where did you get your drl module from and how did it work?

Was there a big hassle wiring it in?

That's handy, aside from the Mexican part, lol. I'm going to soon break down and have the dealer give it a shot, my curiosity is getting the better of me.

Got the module from Daniel Stern, and it works perfectly as intended so far. Just sucks that I've got two drls at the moment, lol. Install wasn't too bad at all, just tap into two wires on the driver side adapter, and cut and solder into 4 other wires (2 on driver side/2 on passenger). Take a look at this thread if ya haven't already.

http://www.ramforum.com/f96/amber_led_drls_13_projectors_finally-62260/

wrench04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once you get them turned off you can switch the country code back to Canada and they should stay off. I did this with my 2008 3500 and it worked well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Metric Customs
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's handy, aside from the Mexican part, lol. I'm going to soon break down and have the dealer give it a shot, my curiosity is getting the better of me.

Got the module from Daniel Stern, and it works perfectly as intended so far. Just sucks that I've got two drls at the moment, lol. Install wasn't too bad at all, just tap into two wires on the driver side adapter, and cut and solder into 4 other wires (2 on driver side/2 on passenger). Take a look at this thread if ya haven't already.

http://www.ramforum.com/f96/amber_led_drls_13_projectors_finally-62260/

Did this provide you with a full power orange LED for daytimes or was it only half power? Also I am thinking of doing the white/amber switchbacks for my led strip. Have you heard anything to do with this?

OP
OP
Metric Customs
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Once you get them turned off you can switch the country code back to Canada and they should stay off. I did this with my 2008 3500 and it worked well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Sounds like it might work. I don't think that getting the country switched back and then having the drls go back on would be a good idea. Then i'd be like, "oh jk can you actually switch my country code again" lol

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did this provide you with a full power orange LED for daytimes or was it only half power? Also I am thinking of doing the white/amber switchbacks for my led strip. Have you heard anything to do with this?

Yes it did. For the switchbacks you'd have to tear apart the light and replace the board.

Now that wrench04 mentioned it, that's how I've seen the other guys who have had luck with this do it. Change the country code, turn drls off, and then switch back to Canada. The drl's should remain disabled.

Attachments

• 20151217_152117.jpg
    20151217_152117.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
Metric Customs
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it did. For the switchbacks you'd have to tear apart the light and replace the board.

Now that wrench04 mentioned it, that's how I've seen the other guys who have had luck with this do it. Change the country code, turn drls off, and then switch back to Canada. The drl's should remain disabled.

Truck looks good. I love those demon eyes. I am probably going to install the switchbacks, just wasn't sure if it would make the DRL module more difficult to install or not. I might give switching back the country code a chance..

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck looks good. I love those demon eyes. I am probably going to install the switchbacks, just wasn't sure if it would make the DRL module more difficult to install or not. I might give switching back the country code a chance..

Thanks man, JJ does some slick work. Installing switchbacks wouldn't have anything to do with the module, as the module is mounted outside the lights.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam