DTC P26AB 5.7L 2014 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doc1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My CEL has come on about 5 times since July and each time it has had the DTC P26AB (Engine Coolant Bypass Valve Stuck). The first time I got the code I simply turned the truck off and back on and the code cleared, so I thought nothing of it. When it came up again a few weeks later it was on a Sunday and no dealerships would be open, so I couldn't take it in and by Monday morning the code had cleared. The third time it happened I turned the truck off and the code went away at the dealership and I was told they couldn't look at it under warranty without the CEL physically being lit.

This past Thursday the CEL came back on and I was able to take it straight to the dealership where they performed a three way valve test which failed. They determined that there was high resistance on the ground wire to the chassis ground. they ran a redundant chassis ground to the battery and the previously high resistance on the ground wire was gone. While talking to the Service advisor he told me that they had only seen one other truck with the same issue, and it was also a 2014 Ram 1500, but he was unclear of if they had been able to correct the issue.

Today I was driving and the CEL came on again and I was able to take it to the dealership again, but they were only able to read the code today and going to order a new Engine Coolant Bypass Valve which should hopefully be in on Tuesday.

My real question is has anyone else come across this issue and if so have you had to go through similar steps and what corrected the issue, if it was corrected.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There have been some issues with the 3 way valve. There's also been a PCM update for that issue as well.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The third time it happened I turned the truck off and the code went away at the dealership and I was told they couldn't look at it under warranty without the CEL physically being lit.

I am glad they are supposedly taking care of you now, but the above quote from them is a lie or misinformation.

Most codes are stored in the computer, and can be read even after the CEL goes out. Now, if they hooked it up, and found no stored codes, then the warranty comment makes some sense. Can't fix what you can't diagnose. But if he told you that straight up without hooking up a code reader of any sort, he was lying or misinformed.

OP
OP
D

doc1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I was able to drop the truck off yesterday early afternoon. They replaced the bypass valve and were still getting the code, so they reran the redundant chassis ground and the CEL was not showing up, but was not passing the test, so they have given me a loaner and they are working to figure out what is causing the issue.

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've been dealing with this annoying problem, and mine also is a 2014 1500 5.7L.

It usually will still just stay on and I'll clear it with my trinity. My only issue is finding a good dealership to take it to. I have several items that need to be addressed under warranty

bighorn2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2014 is doing this lately. Did you guys ever get this fixed? If so, what was done?

Patrice57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dtc p26ab

I just got my truck out of the dealers from having a problem with the light switch, and the code light came on. I ran the code and it came up with the same problem yours had.
I am starting to think I have a lemon, but unfortunately it is not covered by the lemon law. My truck has had so many problems. Transmission clunking, steering harness, light switch, and now this. Good luck with the dealership fixing it. so far I have had to tell them what is wrong or they couldn't figure it out!:

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I ended up taking my truck to the dealer for this code, they ended up replacing the valve, replacing both my mirrors (because I told them they would wiggle while driving), fixing some steering wheel harness and updating the computer.

I'm honestly impressed they did all the with no problems and costed me nothing. The Only pain was putting the fan back on and removing the hemifever tune.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone tell me what the bypass valves partnumber is? I cant find it on google!!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My 2014 3.6L has thrown this code twice now. Once in December and once yesterday (it's still on). I'll update after I visit the dealer.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk