Engine will not Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbryant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Please help!

My engine will not crank... no click either... just nothing. Although lights and bells work.

Door locks work with or without key. Key engine start seems to go through proper sequence too.... just no crank ... or click.

My battery is good... just had it tested.
I just replaced the TIPM.

What else should I check?

edit: The last time it started.... it started hard , like low battery. The battery gauge reads low (analog) the battery is good...

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Are dome lights pretty dim? I'm gonna say that the battery is bad even though it tested good, I had a similar issue and this was the case. I would try to pull the positive terminal off the battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes then reattach and try it again .

Last edited:

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I think the starters are pretty much good to go... i wouldn't think that a truck this new should have an issue like that.

OP
OP
G

gbryant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Are dome lights pretty dim? I'm gonna say that the battery is bad even though it tested good, I had a similar issue and this was the case. I would try to pull the positive terminal off the battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes then reattach and try it again .

I took the battery out, took it to battery store, tested good , brought back, re-installed.... nothing.

How did you determine the battery was bad?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
all my lights were very dim and batt gauge was low. I replaced even though it tested good and it'd been a champ ever since. Did you check fuses? If a fuse for ignition is blown for some odd reason it will produce similar symptoms.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Little red security light blinking in the cluster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

gbryant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I took the battery out, took it to battery store, tested good , brought back, re-installed.... nothing.

How did you determine the battery was bad?

OK... Ive ordered an XS Battery (been wanting one anyway) when that arrives it will take the bad battery question out of the equation.

OP
OP
G

gbryant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I've read about the possibility of a WCM (wireless control module) being bad. Any thoughts?
I wonder if the pushbuttons on the keys would work if this were bad??? They do work...

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is how car companies are making hard for the little guy to do his own repairs at home or small shop anymore. Almost any of the diagnosis required today needs a scan tool.

As for the starting issue, it works from the wireless ignition module to the TIPM through the CAN BUS. What you can do is check that there is power coming from the TIPM to the starter. There is also a ground control for the starter relay through the PCM.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
This is how car companies are making hard for the little guy to do his own repairs at home or small shop anymore. Almost any of the diagnosis required today needs a scan tool.

As for the starting issue, it works from the wireless ignition module to the TIPM through the CAN BUS. What you can do is check that there is power coming from the TIPM to the starter. There is also a ground control for the starter relay through the PCM.

This is the argument I have with a lot of guy's on here, they don't seem to understand that the electronics are great, but are not bullet proof.

HANSOME

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500
Engine
i HAVE A 1998, WITH A FACTORY SECURITY SYSTEM. ON MY TRUCK, IF YOU REMOVE THE BATTERY, YOU MUST RECYCLE THE SYSTEM. ONCE AGAIN, ON MY TRUCK, THE TOGGLE SWITCH IS DOWN LOW ON THE STEERING COLUMN. IF YOU DONT DO THIS, YOU WILL GET NOTHING, NO CRANK AT ALL.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
if it turns over

1 put a spare spark plug in one of the wires or coils and have someone turn it over. if it sparks then its not the ignition system. if it does not then its plugs, wires, coil(s), cap or rotor button (if yours has one)

2 check fuel psi on fuel rail by pulling cap and pushing the valve down if fuel shoots out then not your problem if it does then bad fuel pump.

3 its probably not suffocating. but check iac solenoid.

needs air, fuel, spark to run

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is the argument I have with a lot of guy's on here, they don't seem to understand that the electronics are great, but are not bullet proof.

Lol try explaining that to customers who try their own diagnosis. All they do for me is add extra work to fix what they did. I'm all for people fixing their own cars, just remember they ain't building them like they used too.

OP
OP
G

gbryant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I took it to dealership, it was the starter.

But, low tire pressure light is still on.... the saga continues...

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
make sure everything is plugged in and everything is seated properly on the TIPM. I had mine replaced by the dealer recently. Also I think it needs to be programmed.