Etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
2010 ram 1500 4x4 5.7l hemi big horn

Alright I have read a few different things around the web, but nothing seems to be helping. Even a few threads on here have mentioned the issue but doesn't seem like anyone has found a cure.

So my ETC light will come on every now and then, the truck will go into a limp mode so to speak, right around 2000 RPM's and up is when she will start to buck, anything under 2000 she will run smooth, this doesn't occur too often, BUT.

The ETC light will come on almost every time I drive it and the truck will operate just fine, not bucking above 2000 RPM's or anything. Just the light will come on and I'll hear the "ding" (notification noise). I turn the truck off and back on again and it will go away. My Diablo will show a code of P2127 (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2 circuit low voltage) and a P2138 (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1-2 correlation).

I really don't want to just throw parts at it and hope they fix my problem. so if you have any information that will help please let me know.

Thanks yall

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Per Glas3222
http://www.ramforum.com/f50/throttle_position_sensor-2183/index2.html#post45541

Try resetting the TPS:

1) Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" (not start).
2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.
3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.
5) Turn the ignition key to "OFF".
6) Start the engine.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
By the way, if that does work, for you, then post back.
Who knows, 6 years form now, it may help out another.

FYI, that post I referenced is from November, 2010

OP
OP
chickenhawk454
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
By the way, if that does work, for you, then post back.
Who knows, 6 years form now, it may help out another.

FYI, that post I referenced is from November, 2010
I have read that post I have done that multiple times and have had the throttle body relearn from the Dealer and still have the issues.

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
P2127-ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR 2 CIRCUIT LOW

When Monitored:
With the ignition on and no other APPS No.2 DTCs present.

Set Condition:
When the APP Sensor No.2 voltage is too low. Engine will only idle if the Brake pedal is Pressed or has failed. Acceleration rate and Engine output are limited. One trip fault and the code will set within 5 seconds. ETC light is flashing.

Possible Causes:
(F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
(F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K29) APP SENSOR NO.2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
(K29) APP SENSOR NO.2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K29) APP SENSOR NO.2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (K167) APP SENSOR NO.1 RETURN CIRCUIT
(K29) APP SENSOR NO.2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (K400) APP SENSOR NO.2 RETURN CIRCUIT
APP SENSOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

P2138-ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR 1/2 CORRELATION

When Monitored:
With the ignition on and no APPS No.1 and APPS No.2 DTC present.

Set Condition:
APPS values No.1 and No.2 are not coherent. Idle is additionally forced when the brake pedal is pressed or failed. Acceleration rate and Engine output are limited. One trip fault and the code will set within 5 seconds. ETC light is flashing.

Possible Causes:
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (F855) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (K167) SENSOR NO.1 RETURN CIRCUIT
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (K400) SENSOR NO.2 RETURN CIRCUIT
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (K23) APP SENSOR NO.1 SIGNAL CIRCUIT
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (K29) APP SENSOR NO.2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT
APP SENSOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Kennytjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2010 ram 1500 4x4 5.7l hemi big horn

Alright I have read a few different things around the web, but nothing seems to be helping. Even a few threads on here have mentioned the issue but doesn't seem like anyone has found a cure.

So my ETC light will come on every now and then, the truck will go into a limp mode so to speak, right around 2000 RPM's and up is when she will start to buck, anything under 2000 she will run smooth, this doesn't occur too often, BUT.

The ETC light will come on almost every time I drive it and the truck will operate just fine, not bucking above 2000 RPM's or anything. Just the light will come on and I'll hear the "ding" (notification noise). I turn the truck off and back on again and it will go away. My Diablo will show a code of P2127 (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2 circuit low voltage) and a P2138 (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1-2 correlation).

I really don't want to just throw parts at it and hope they fix my problem. so if you have any information that will help please let me know.

Thanks yall
Hey am having the same exact problem with my 2010 ram did you ever figure out what was cause the problem it would be greatly appreciated

blain1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm having the exact same problem as well on my 2005 Ram 5.7L Hemi

Getting Code:
P2127 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch E Circuit Low Input STORED

P2138 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "D"/"E" Voltage Correlation STORED

Red lightening bolt flashes and truck drives with very delayed response to throttle.

If I shut the truck off and back on it usually goes away and drives just fine.

Very random.
Please someone help. I'm due for inspection this month.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey am having the same exact problem with my 2010 ram did you ever figure out what was cause the problem it would be greatly appreciated

If you're open to visiting a dealer, let me know and I'd be happy to assist. Thanks! - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Looking at what RAMCARES provided, it sounds like a failure, or soon to fail, pedal position sensor(s). Probably one of them (circuit 2) is failing and the PCM is putting you in limp because circuit 1 and 2 disagree.

If you aren't comfortable trouble shooting that, and I would not be, then its dealership time for you or you'll continue to live in limp mode.

Kennytjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're open to visiting a dealer, let me know and I'd be happy to assist. Thanks! - Kevin T, Social Connect Team
I went to the dealer three time the first time they replaced the etc the second time they replaced the gas pedal and now they are telling me that it's the pcm.

soSincerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
'16 1500 QC express
Engine
5.7 4x4 3.92 LSD
welp, sounds like that dealer needs to pay for it then. they charged you TWICE for a problem that wasn't fixed. IMO, the 2nd time you came back THEY should have had to pay for it.

sounds to me like the tech is just reading the code, and throwing parts at it, instead of actually diagnosing the issue. dont forget, there are parts that you can replace, but also what about the wiring? is he actually checking for the proper signal to and from the components in question? is he checking for proper pin-fit at the PCM? how about pin-fit at the connectors for the pedal and throttle body? what if its just a bad ground issue?

anyways, sounds like you get a free PCM. or maybe wiring harness ... or maybe wiring / pin fit repair ...

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I went to the dealer three time the first time they replaced the etc the second time they replaced the gas pedal and now they are telling me that it's the pcm.

Thanks for the follow-up. I would like to work with the dealer in order to adequately diagnose the vehicle. If you’re willing to revisit the dealer please DM me your VIN, servicing dealer, and phone number. – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none
Thanks for the follow-up. I would like to work with the dealer in order to adequately diagnose the vehicle. If you’re willing to revisit the dealer please DM me your VIN, servicing dealer, and phone number. – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

I think you need to take the dealer information and audit some of the repair invoices, sounds like they charge the customer for their ineptness. Also are these repairs not covered under the government mandated emissions warranty? If so, what is the time/mile stipulation (I will go look it up).

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I think you need to take the dealer information and audit some of the repair invoices, sounds like they charge the customer for their ineptness. Also are these repairs not covered under the government mandated emissions warranty? If so, what is the time/mile stipulation (I will go look it up).

I will look into this and get back to you shortly. Thanks! - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none

blain1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me, I replaced the accelerator Pedal with the built in APPS and that seems to have done the trick for me.

Good luck to anyone else with this Code/Problem.

OP
OP
chickenhawk454
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have replaced my APPS (dealership said that's what the issue was), still having the same problem. Today I was looking at the chilton and following there trouble shooting procedures they provide, and I think I have come down to the 6 pin harness being shorted to ground. Where would be a good place to find a wiring diagram. I would like to know where these wires are going to test some other things. or has anyone else had these wires shorted to ground before and where would be some good spots to look.

OP
OP
chickenhawk454
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
update...

The dealer has replaced the APPS and the PCM problem still occurs. PCM was under warranty (8 Years/80k miles). got the truck back from the dealer they said it was good to go. I got about 3/4 of the way home and the light came on again.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
update...

The dealer has replaced the APPS and the PCM problem still occurs. PCM was under warranty (8 Years/80k miles). got the truck back from the dealer they said it was good to go. I got about 3/4 of the way home and the light came on again.

Sorry to hear about the inconvenience. Did you have the opportunity to bring it back to the dealer for further diagnosis? - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

OP
OP
chickenhawk454
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sorry to hear about the inconvenience. Did you have the opportunity to bring it back to the dealer for further diagnosis? - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Yes they have had my truck for 22 days and are saying they have to replace the engine wiring harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk