Frequent Long Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bimmel20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased a 2011 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 HEMI. The truck has 75K miles on it. Everything is great other than an occasional long start of several seconds. Four out of five times, the engine fires right up. However, about one out of five times, it turns over for several seconds (4 or 5) before finally firing up. It does not seem to matter whether the engine is cold or warm. It seems random. Any suggestions on where to look first?

Thanks.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
If you are not getting misfire codes, I would start with the cam and crank sensors. They have what is called a "cam/crank correlation" where the PCM checks each sensor to make sure each is seeing their respective timing in respect to the other sensor and when correctly synced up, the PCM then tells the coils and injectors to fire.

With out a proper diagnosis tool to check cam/crank waveforms, you will be shotgunning parts hoping to get lucky. Possible causes could be cam or crank sensors, PCM, wiring and stretched timing chain.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased a 2011 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 HEMI. The truck has 75K miles on it. Everything is great other than an occasional long start of several seconds. Four out of five times, the engine fires right up. However, about one out of five times, it turns over for several seconds (4 or 5) before finally firing up. It does not seem to matter whether the engine is cold or warm. It seems random. Any suggestions on where to look first?

Thanks.

After the engine starts following the "long start", does it run rough for several seconds - then run smooth?

If so, you may have one or more fuel injectors sticking open, causing raw fuel to enter the engine and a flooded condition.

If this is the case - I would use Techron Fuel System Cleaner PLUS according to label directions, which may remove the deposits on the fuel injectors that are causing them to stick open when the engine is shutoff. Please note that Chevron is in the process of changing the product name and bottle labeling, so you may find this product or the updated bottle (and I can't remember the new name). It comes in a black plastic bottle with a long, thin neck.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks.

Any update?