Fuel Pump Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010blueram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,

I Have a 2010 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi. Last night it wouldn't start for my gf, so I thought she ran it out of gas. After putting 2.5 gals of gas in the tank and the level indicator on the dash reading above empty, it still would not start. I checked the full pump fuse with a multimeter and it tested good. I took off the intake line to the throttle body and poured in a tiny bit off gas. The truck started right up, but died when the gas burned off.

What else can I check before committing to replacing the fuel pump?

No engine codes are present.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Pull the hose off the fuel rails and put it into a container. When you turn the ignition on (but don't start the engine) you should get some fuel being pushed into the container. If not then you'll be looking for a new fuel pump assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

2010blueram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply!

Since this is my only vehicle, I decided to change out the fuel pump. I couldn't find any diy's or videos on youtube for the 4th gen, but it was very similar to the 3rd gen. I lifted the bed up to access the fuel pump. There is a write up on here for "The easy Way" to change out fuel pump. I pretty much followed that and got access to the top of the fuel tank.

34734449972_dce9a9fffc_h.jpg

During the install, I noticed the plastic retaining clip on the fuel line was either broken or I broke it; either way, I am going to replace it before buttoning everything back up. Hopefully that's something I can get at the part store or dealer easily.

I did hook up the battery to test it. When I turned the ignition on, I heard the fuel pump turn on right away. I thought the truck was quieter (before changing out the fuel pump), but just couldn't remember if I actual heard the fuel pump come on before or not.

It fired right up. Now, I have a big smile on my face!