Fuel tank capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmletourneau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How would I verify the capacity of the fuel tank on my '16 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman? The sticker says that a 32 gallon tank is part of the package but I ran it down until the gauge was on E and the low fuel warning came on and it took 24 gallons to fill up. That seems like the standard 26 gallon tank to me, which would be somewhat disappointing.

Any clues as to how I can verify what I have?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You can go on Ram connect website and enter your vin and download your trucks build sheet it will list every thing on the truck, but ive read se eral posts by guys with same as you my 26 gal tank will say empty but your lucky if you can get 23 gallons in it. Some say its set up that way so u dont run it out of gas

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think it would be pretty rare to have the smaller fuel tank with the Outdoorsman package unless you had the V-6.

OP
OP
tmletourneau

tmletourneau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I have the 5.7 and when I go to Ram Connect and go to learn -> equipment -> optional equipment it does list the 32 gallon fuel tank and farther down it also lists 5 additional gallons of gas. I just find it odd that the gauge and low fuel indicator would come on when I should have around 7-8 gallons left in the tank. I could see not registering 1-2 gallons as a reserve or due to mechanical limitations of the sending unit but 7-8 gallons seems a bit excessive.

I'll just have to trust the gauge, I'd hate to run out but if it does have the capacity and doesn't register it then what's the point.

If someone would verify what I am seeing I can post or PM my VIN.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I have the 5.7 and when I go to Ram Connect and go to learn -> equipment -> optional equipment it does list the 32 gallon fuel tank and farther down it also lists 5 additional gallons of gas. I just find it odd that the gauge and low fuel indicator would come on when I should have around 7-8 gallons left in the tank. I could see not registering 1-2 gallons as a reserve or due to mechanical limitations of the sending unit but 7-8 gallons seems a bit excessive.

I'll just have to trust the gauge, I'd hate to run out but if it does have the capacity and doesn't register it then what's the point.

If someone would verify what I am seeing I can post or PM my VIN.

It is done by design - the fuel pump is actually cooled by the fuel surrounding it. Knowing people will run to E on a regular basis cost Chrysler in warranty repairs on fuel pumps years ago, by forcing the system to register E at a higher volume was a way of circumventing the issue. My '06 Charger has a 19 gallon tank and when on E, the most I can put in it is 14 gallons...

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Great point. I had forgotten about the fuel pump cooling.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
I have a 31 gallon tank and the most I have put in it is 26 gallons.

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an Outdoorsman as well and the build sheet says that it has the 32 gallon tank. But when on "E" it never seems to take more than 26 gallons.

Well the other day, I was on the highway, and the fuel light came on. I had to go another 15 miles or so until I could get to the gas station. It took 27.2 gallons at the gas station. So it looks like I do have the 32 gallon tank, but that low fuel light comes on awfully early.

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is done by design - the fuel pump is actually cooled by the fuel surrounding it. Knowing people will run to E on a regular basis cost Chrysler in warranty repairs on fuel pumps years ago, by forcing the system to register E at a higher volume was a way of circumventing the issue. My '06 Charger has a 19 gallon tank and when on E, the most I can put in it is 14 gallons...

So in THEORY, I COULD go another 100 miles on a tank if needed but risk burning out the pump? So even if it says empty, I theoretically have another five gallon slush fund of secret gas?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I say it is a bunch of bull about burning up a fuel pump from running the fuel tank dry. I used to regularly put 30 gallons in the 31 gallon tank on a '98 Chevy work van. I even coasted into a gas station several "on fumes". I know for a fact that van went over 300K (8yrs old) before it was sold, never had the fuel pump replaced.

82Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
1982, 2010
Engine
318 Magnum, 6.7 Cummins
I say it is a bunch of bull about burning up a fuel pump from running the fuel tank dry. I used to regularly put 30 gallons in the 31 gallon tank on a '98 Chevy work van. I even coasted into a gas station several "on fumes". I know for a fact that van went over 300K (8yrs old) before it was sold, never had the fuel pump replaced.

It surprising for a Chevy fuel pump to last that long when not abused. I know for a fact that you can and will burn up a pump running it empty. I have seen in many times. Expeditions actually had a huge issue with it and if you drove regularly below 1/4 tank it would melt the wires and connector on the pump inside the tank.

tripleplay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can confirm 32 gallons.. put 30.6 gallons in the other day after running for a while on "low" range.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got gas today in my 26 gallon tank. Normally stop when its 1/4, but wasn't able to stop until it was at 1/8th. Took 21.88 gallons to auto shut off. Btw, paid $1.94 per.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
............ Btw, paid $1.94 per.

You left the best part out, someone else pumped it for you. :) If the bridge toll did not cost me $5, I would be getting the Jersey gas on my daily commute into the Philly area.

Last edited:

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You left the best part out, someone else pumped it for you. :) If the bridge tool did not cost me $5, I would be getting the Jersey gas on my daily commute into the Philly area.

Yes, specially trained gas attendants are required to pump gas in NJ because everyone knows we are idiots and can't be trusted. :)

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Yes, specially trained gas attendants are required to pump gas in NJ because everyone knows we are idiots and can't be trusted. :)

Yeah, that is an enigma. Got a state with some of the highest taxes around but the lowest fuel prices and still able to mandate by law someone paid has to pump the gas for you.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, that is an enigma. Got a state with some of the highest taxes around but the lowest fuel prices and still able to mandate by law someone paid has to pump the gas for you.

Although the Governor is trying to get 23 cents in additional gas taxes per gallon enacted. :(

Maybe if that happened a push would be made that would allow us to pump our own so retailers can fire all the "pumpers" to help keep their retail price low as possible.

Trog73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Sorry to bump an old thread for my first post, but I'm trying to learn all I can about the beast I've bought and grown to love in the last couple of months.

I, too, have wondered whether I got screwed on the size of the fuel tank or if Ram just provides an overly generous margin of safety. Apparently it's the latter. 27 gallons is the most I've put in the tank, and that was after a puckeringly long ride after the low fuel light came on!

The Mopar site and window sticker show my 2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4 to have a 31-gal tank, AND "5.2 Additional Gallons of Gas". It really stood out to me that it read like that. It didn't say it had a 5.2-gal, larger fuel tank. It didn't say it had a 5.2-gal, auxiliary tank. It says, "5.2 Additional Gallons of Gas". I was looking for a jerry can in the bed! So, what the heck exactly does that mean? Anyway?

btw, great forum. Glad to be here.

Trog73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, thanks, Poram. I KNOW what it says is on my truck. I'm just confused as to what it means by "additional 5.2 gallons of gas". Does it mean I have a special 36.2 gallon tank? Does it mean I have a 5.2 gallon auxiliary tank? Or maybe, from what I'm reading here, it's telling me I've actually got 5.2 gallons left when the display tells me the tank is empty?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963