Fuel tank capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjpatek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have a 2017 2500 Laramie, and drove about 10 miles today on low fuel light, and tank only took 25.7 gallons. Averaging around 12MPG on the computer.

My question is does anyone have a workaround for the gauge/computer, so that instead of what is presumably a 6+ gallon cushion...gets reduced to 2 or 3?

It's not the end of the world for my needs, but if I had purchased this to haul a trailer, instead of as a daily driver, I'd be pretty irritated I'd only have around 200 miles(8MPG)on a tank before the light pestered me to refill. Sure... one can manually note the miles and do their own calculation, but that's pretty inconvenient when you drop 50K on a truck.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here you go. I took this picture just as I pulled up to the gas pumps this morning. Looks pretty empty to me and it on took 25.7 gallons for the 32 gallon tank. Pretty ridiculous. daee2f2d97955f459da953dd23e83770.jpg

Justin Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a 2017 2500 Laramie, and drove about 10 miles today on low fuel light, and tank only took 25.7 gallons. Averaging around 12MPG on the
My question is does anyone have a workaround for the gauge/computer, so that instead of what is presumably a 6+ gallon cushion...gets reduced to 2 or 3?

It's not the end of the world for my needs, but if I had purchased this to haul a trailer, instead of as a daily driver, I'd be pretty irritated I'd only have around 200 miles(8MPG)on a tank before the light pestered me to refill. Sure... one can manually note the miles and do their own calculation, but that's pretty inconvenient when you drop 50K on a truck.

Totally agree and would gladly pay a fee to have the computer reset and allow me to fully use the tank. My wife is currently driving to Oklahoma from our home in Connecticut towing a camper and the computer says she only has a range of 230 miles. I have verified that our truck has the 32 gal tank but she hasn’t been able to put more then 24 gallons in on this trip. I have put in as much as 27 gallon in the past.

If there is a solution to this I would love to know what it is.

Ramshig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
5 additional gallons on the build sheet is exactly what it says. They literally put that much fuel in the gas tank before delivering it to the dealer or destination .