Gear spliter 2012 ram 3500, 4x4, 68RFE trany, 4.10 gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twlyons1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Laramie 4x4 crew 8' dually
I have searched with Gear Vendors but they have a limit as to how much capacity they will handle,,,,,i occasionally hit 30,000 GVWR witch is 5,000 over their limit,,is there another Over/Under out here that is compatible with the 68RFE ?
I mainly need it for when i am running empty for the fuel conservation and EXPENSE also those hill starts from surprising stop lights at about 5% grade or better,,,Oregon,,who knew :birgits_tiredcoffee

I know that with the 4.10 gears in the crew cab the trailer max is considered 19,100 but any one whom has hauled is aware that weights can be surprising especially when an owner says it only is about a ton and turns out to be 3, want to be set up for over, not be surprised when it breaks down for being just with in....:Wedgie: besides- wife would do this to me--- for a long,,long time

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not aware of any other manufactures of Gear Vendors type units.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm still impressed at the weights your calling for! I dont even haul that much with our international 4900

OP
OP
twlyons1

twlyons1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm still impressed at the weights your calling for! I dont even haul that much with our international 4900

Hi, sorry for the long in between.

I am talking about the GVWR, total weight of truck, trailer, load.

the truck is 8000 + trailer 7000 + tractor 10300 = 25,300 and 70 gal tank in back is another 500 and the box scraper at 800 and a tiller for 1100, pair of forks for 400 and through in an auger with 2 bits for 400 and a backhoe attachment for 1500 comes to a grand total of = 30,000 lbs.

the trailer is rated at 20,000 so I was over by some but placement makes a lot of difference,,,,,,,, I do not plan to load it with every thing again to go off on a 3 day job not knowing exactly what i need,,,, the extra cash was nice but I did end up not needing the auger or the 36" ripper,,00ya this too @300,, or the seed spreader for 100...

It is amazing what the weight comes up to when ya start checking it and try to do the right thing by keeping the weights under,,,,, I have done a lot of stops at a lot of log truck scales,,, a lot of figuring too,,,,had to write down base weight with empty tanks to fully loaded due to the actual weight difference

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It's not really just the weights that concern me
If your towing this for your business you should honestly be pulling with a class A vehicle
You put your business and yourself at a ton of risk when pulling that much over weight

Do you run farm vehicle plates on your truck? I guess it's a farm endorsement in Oregon.

I know those can let you jump through alot of loop holes here with DOT but your still taking all of the liability of your business and yourself as soon as you exceed the vehicle weight ratings your insurance has the right to not file a claim should you have an accident overweight

Last edited:
OP
OP
twlyons1

twlyons1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not really just the weights that concern me
If your towing this for your business you should honestly be pulling with a class A vehicle
You put your business and yourself at a ton of risk when pulling that much over weight

Do you run farm vehicle plates on your truck? I guess it's a farm endorsement in Oregon.

I know those can let you jump through alot of loop holes here with DOT but your still taking all of the liability of your business and yourself as soon as you exceed the vehicle weight ratings your insurance has the right to not file a claim should you have an accident overweight

I made a mistake,,it is the GCVW , and as i typed ,,,I have been learning the weights and discovering how easy it is to go over weight plus i would not be hauling the entire farm again so my weights would be with in specs.
Now the insurance thing,,,,,, my agent apparently is wanting me to leave after 15 years,,, she is telling me that because my truck weighs 13,100 lbs, 2012 3500 4x4 crew dually 8', they wont cover it when it comes in, she says that this is its base weight,---------NOOOOOOO it is not the base weight of the vehicle I said and that it is less than 8000 lbs,,,,, she said she wont get into an argument and that for that vehicle that Far--rs lists it to weigh 13,100 lbs,,, i said that this is what the vehicle is at GVW ( fully loaded passengers, load, fuels ) not Curb Weight (with out passengers or cargo but with all fuels and all ) she said" we can not cover it if you get it" that was the end of that conversation..... well we are going to be getting new insurance the day before the truck is ready to come home, found insurance with same coverages for about half the cost for all our vehicles and to top that off, we lowered the deductible to 100 for only 10 bucks more a month, considering 500,,,yeeaaaaa,,,the 10 is worth it,,,, this is for both vehicles, full coverage.

any ways, the weights are under control legally and insuradly. not to worry.

If it is possible, a good club of say the weight club would be a good idea,,may help others understand different states they maybe going to and their loads as well as home states towers (spelling?) such as Oregon has a limit of 32' (this does not include the tongue or goose neck), over that length a special plate is needed, like a T plate or Farm plate or even a special permit window sticker. ALL RECREATIONAL ( campers,trailers type are exempt on length and weight )

I thought that when i seen the 10K club it was of weights,,,not how many posts some one can make, it is fun and all but of no use when figuring weights.