HELP! 4 wheel drive noise and worling noise HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twenty12ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Tech info please HELP!!!

so here are my two problems ....

Problem 1 - the vehicle has no 4 wheel drive, when I switch it in to 4 wheel high or low it shows on the dash going in, I can hear the t-case shifting the solenoid and then wait for it ..... no 4 wheel drive at all, went to dealer they stated it worked on the lift but once on the ground it wouldn't work ??? any thoughts ??

Problem 2 - worling type noise from passenger side front wheel area, ( NO ITS NOT THE HUB, I JUST CHANGED BOTH FRONT HUBS WITH BRAND NEW TIMPKIN HUBS ) sorry for caps lol..... the noise comes in around 20 and stays there .... doesn't change with turning or up or down hill, braking either..... I changed the front diff fluid thinking my diff was blown up but fluid was clean, no metal at all, any thoughts guys ????

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have the BW 44-44 (if you have the auto feature, you do)?

OP
OP
twenty12ram1500

twenty12ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yes I have the borg-warner transfer case.... in snow mud sand all I do is spin the rear wheels, I don't have any movement out of the front wheels.... im thinking the 2 issues are related im thinking maybe the front axle lock is not working or its stripped causing the noise .... the noise is in 2 or 4 wheel ... I never use the auto function

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like burnt up or worn out clutch pack in the tcase. Since the front wheels turned while on the lift I suspect the front axle is engaging however the clutches in the tcase don't have enough grip to overcome the resistance while the truck is on the ground.

Last edited:
OP
OP
twenty12ram1500

twenty12ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
that was my thought... but since my truck is lifted they basically don't wanna touch it and its ******* me off thank you @6.7CumminsDrvr

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There has been many discussions about the BW 44-44 and its faults........and there is conversion kit on the way that will make it actually lock up as a proper tcase should. Still in final testing but it looks good and the cost is supposed to be $800. Still not exactly cheap but it will "cure" the problem.

I would hope if your truck is under warrenty they would at least work with you, the lift you have surely isn't the problem.

Where you at on the Island? I've got family in Massapequa, Seaford, and Holtzville.

Last edited:
OP
OP
twenty12ram1500

twenty12ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
exactly I keep telling them that and they done seem to care
Dealer- " its lifted its most likely your stretched harnesses'

Me - "the harnesses are in the factory locations as the body was not lifted or dropped"

Dealer - " no there stretched the tech's said "

Me - " your tech is stupid and doesn't know the truck then"

Dealer - " he's a master Chrysler tech and knows the vehicle better than you "

Me - " ok corperate will hear from me have a good day bye "

so that's what im dealing with basically

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
exactly I keep telling them that and they done seem to care
Dealer- " its lifted its most likely your stretched harnesses'

Me - "the harnesses are in the factory locations as the body was not lifted or dropped"

Dealer - " no there stretched the tech's said "

Me - " your tech is stupid and doesn't know the truck then"

Dealer - " he's a master Chrysler tech and knows the vehicle better than you "

Me - " ok corperate will hear from me have a good day bye "

so that's what im dealing with basically

Ya, that sux right there

OP
OP
twenty12ram1500

twenty12ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
so update!!! just got the transfer case replaced under warranty YAY!!!! .... the grinding worling noise is gone.... transfer case was blown up. they replaced the whole unit they couldn't even rebuild it...... thats the good news.

now the bad news :-(

been driving the truck now and so happy the grinding noise is gone but now i have a Gear type noise that i can hear only when off throttle passing a car/barrier or another object. if i am accelerating or driving along no gear noise.

best description i can use is a gear or ratcheting noise, i still have to check and make sure they filled the t-case lol just in case the tech forgot to fill it

any info would be great

thanks