help needed with dash issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dallasmade19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
So I have a new 2013 ram1500 and everything was fine when i got it back in august. Now that it is getting cold I am seeing issues with the truck and that seems odd. I've done some sort of digging in the forums and on Google and see that I haven't been the only person with issues when it gets cold outside. for one, my dash lights blink constantly and it's weird because after playing with it i noticed it only does it when i dim the dash all the way. if i make it brighter it doesn't blink at all. someone on ramforumz talked about it doing it to them last month when i searched this problem but after reading i saw that the guy had no solution but just to see what happens after a while. also i noticed that my truck has gotten slow when unlocking and locking all the doors. has like a 1 to 2 second delay when i press lock/unlock. also after i hit pause on the radio it never gives me the play button anymore (i have uconnect 5.0). and if it does show a play button then it reacts slow after i hit play. but most of the time the pause button just stays on the screen and when i hit it to play a song it doesn't do anything.

i really don't want to have to take it in being that its the holidays and my work schedule is heavy right now. any solutions? i saw another discussion about maybe the truck is drawing a lot of current to the heater when it's cut on but i doubt it because the lights don't flicker when the brightness is up. also saw someone mention fuses in a different forum but it doesn't sound like that is the issue either nor a lose connection. any ideas?

OP
OP
D

dallasmade19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
forgot to mention the blinker came on slow as well. i know the newer vehicles have a lot of electronics but with all that cold weather testing they do and all that's not an excuse for the electrical issues I've seen and I'm only in Louisiana. it's only 40-45 degrees here maybe low 35 at night during the cold front.

B Red Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I haven't found a cure for this issue but my dash (sometimes) blinks as well. It seems that if it's dimmed all the way, the gauge back lighting blinks a lot. However as the dimmer wheel is turned to brighter and brighter the blinking goes away more and more.

-I've noticed this occurring more as the nights have gotten colder < 35* out
-I've noticed that once the lights have been on (full bright) for a while, I can dim them down all the way and the back lighting won't blink

OP
OP
D

dallasmade19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
glad I'm not alone. I've tried turning the radio up and down and messing with things to see if that would maybe make the dash lights do anything but nothing changed. still blinked the same.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Basically saying, LED's and LCD's normally run at a set frequency or duty cycle (on/off), not sure what these trucks run at. If the resolution frequencies are not right or way to slow (more time between on/off), when you turn the brightness down it will show as flickering. The controller that controls this cycle maybe to slow or not operating properly.

Not sure where the controller is for this, on the display or else where, but I would think something needs to be replaced

They had some issues with either the 2009's or 10's doing this with the LED's in the evic display.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure if this is related ,but on Ram Forums 4th Gen Tech talk under 4th Gen recalls at the very bottom of the list a 2014 Ram and Grand Cherokee RECALL FOR Instruments lighting ... The recall hasn't been sent to consumers yet , may be worth checking into to see if its a related software problem for your 2013 .

I SHOT IT WITH MY P.S.E. EVO MAX !!!!

AF MSGT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my 2013 ram 2500 my dash lights (EVIC) started intermittently blinking off/on. Started doing this while I was in Florida this past January. Head lamps and internal lites had no bearing on the EVIC area blinking. Waited till I returned to Mich., local dealer that I trust tested for the problem with a troubleshooting device and sure enough, had to replace the EVIC panel. Ordered new panel, installed 1 week later....$800.00. Not happy about that, but glad I Had $100. deductible warranty.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The dash/cluster lights flickering at low brightness settings is a known issue. FCA is aware of it, they did release a flash that was supposed to fix it, but it didn’t. Unfortunately there is no fix and no plans for it to be fixed.

It’s likely a hardware issue with the frequency or response time of LEDs/cluster that can’t be fixed with software.