HELP! Truck will not start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just got my 13' Ram 1500 sport last weekend, and then I got a Viper alarm installed on Wednesday. Today after my truck sat for about 3.5 hours, it wouldnt start. The gauges were twitching. It seemed like the truck wasnt recognizing the key faub. So I tried jumping it like maybe the battery was dead, I also put a new battery in the key faub. The Viper key faub worked just fine, but not the oem faub. The evic would flash for a second, but not let me start...its full push start, im really missing a key ignition at this point :/ And yes, my foot was on the brake! Also, I changed out the factory with a JL and amp :) so maybe all that wiring on a brand new truck they dont know is the issue. Also, is there any key ignition somewhere to overide the push start? Guess Ill have to climb back in the 08, with the good ol trusty key start :)

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
I think a few of the members have had this problem with the viper. Maybe one will chime in shortly.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Take the Viper out, problem solved. Look in owners manual and see if there is a way to deactivate the alarm or use Valet mode. Depending on model it can be by depressing different buttons at same time, or in sequence. Renders viper useless without removing it. Was you door closed when you tried the push start?

Last edited:
OP
OP
generaljenkins

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah i tried with the door closed and open. I did not try the vallet mode though...but im really thinking its an internal short due to the install. i will try the vallet mode though today just to see.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Not to sidetrack, but why add a Viper alarm?

OP
OP
generaljenkins

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because my 08 ram was sitting in my driveway and someone smashed both windows and stole alot of stuff. I don't want the new JL and amp getting gone!

OP
OP
generaljenkins

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And by the way it was a simple pull of the fuse and it all started working properly....hopefully it stays that way.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I take it the stock alarm wasn't enough for your desires?

OP
OP
generaljenkins

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again the stick alarm doesn't do any good if the windows get busted out and the doors don't get opened. Plus if some ******* lets his cart roll into it I want to be alerted. The stock alarm only works if some one opens the doors while its locked, it won't go off if the window gets busted and they crawl in and grab stuff. So to answer the question, no the stock alarm wasn't good enough :)

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
That all makes sense lol. How does the window part work? Do they have to install a sensor up in the corner of each one or something?

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That all makes sense lol. How does the window part work? Do they have to install a sensor up in the corner of each one or something?

Many alarms have glass break sensors. They are tuned to the sound of glass and work by sound. There's also shock sensors for vibration.

OP
OP
generaljenkins

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it's a pressure sensor, it looks like a microphone, at each corner of the front windshield. It also works if you have the windows down and arm it and someone sticks their arm in. But the best part is the blue LED light that comes on when armed, it pretty much deters anyone from even attempting to smash a window. It's super bright at night.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
weird i never had an issue on my 2012 with the viper...like you i needed more then the stock one because two days after taking my rt home someone was already trying to steal my wheels

OP
OP
generaljenkins

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if I knew where you lived, I would try too :) jk nice truck. What is the differance between the sport and the r/t by the way? I lucked out and got the r/t hood on my sport. Is just suspension like the Dakota r/t had?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I believe it's actually known as the "Sport Performance Hood" haha. ;). But the difference is the 4.10 gears, only comes in reg cab, and maybe a little bit of factory tuning? Not sure on that last one.

As for your viper locking your truck up, one time I remote started my truck and then unlocked it with the normal key fob. My truck didnt like that. It stayed running, but lights on the dash were on and what not, so at the next stop light I figured I'd turn it off and back on real quick. Turns out the system locked up the starter, and I had to push it to the next parking lot and unhook the battery real quick. Worked fine after that. Something about using the factory remote pissed it off.

OP
OP
generaljenkins

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah that's what the install guys said. After pulling the fuse and only using the viper fab to lock and unlock, I haven't had any issues.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The only difference in them performance wise is the 4.10 gears and 2600 stall... Looks wise is some like mine have the rt logo stitched into the headrest and the 2011 and up came with the 22s

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45