Which HID kit do you have??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Litenyaup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to put hids in my 2011 sport guad lamp. Just wandering what kit everyone else who has them used. Wondering if the cheaper kits from eBay worked out for others.

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No.
Only buy from retro shop. Everything else will be a headache.
I am running their Nightvision brand. 6000k with a harness on the lows and the fogs. They work great.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on the person. I've been hearing a lot of issues recently with the retro ones whereas other people have been just fine with cheap ones like ddm. It's luck of the draw pretty much

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on the person. I've been hearing a lot of issues recently with the retro ones whereas other people have been just fine with cheap ones like ddm. It's luck of the draw pretty much

Totally not being cocky or rude. I truly wanna know
What have you been hearing about retro; like what kind of issues?

OP
OP
Litenyaup

Litenyaup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found canbus specific 35 watt and 55 watt kits in eBay. Was thinking of trying these out. Not sure if im going to need a harness or not.

Any one try these?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364865524.401920.jpg

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
And I'll make my "announcement" a bit earlier...........

Towards the end of the week, we'll have another supplier that we are using for HIDs. It may be temporary, may be permanent.

To answer the questions that I know will be coming:
- Yes, I have 100% confidence in the Retro-Solutions kits, I still run them on my personal truck and van. They are excellent kits, and we have hundreds of customers running them with absolutely no issues.
- 1000% the reason for moving? Customer support. The company I am moving to has 5 full time employees to provide support via the phone. I just can't say no to that!
- Another byproduct of the move, I'm going to be stocking the parts. I'm a control freak, drop shipping is great - but.......when a customer asks me if a product has shipped, I can say in confidence when or where it is in the process.
- Few odds and ends.........I simply love the look of their harnesses. Yes, its just a "look", but.....well, it just looks better, ya know? Dual relays (with LED indicator), fully sheathed wiring, spiffy stuff. ;)

As for the "not on JJ", well - I do resell the kits - but I have my name on them too. I have to ensure that we (I) here at RetroShop provide the best customer support, even if its just a "drop ship". ;)

Danimal77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will the prices be comparable from your new line to the retro line?

Dawizman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You've got me interested! I love the digital kit, but the harness is kinda "meh". It gets the job done I guess, but really looks out of place under my hood.

I might have to order a new kit for my truck, and move the old one to my work truck.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Will the prices be comparable from your new line to the retro line?

Still working out final pricing, but one main difference..........I will no longer offer a HID low / halogen high setup. If your bulb is a dual filament, we'll only offer bixenon for that. So....the "economy" line and anything close......dropped. Simplification will be key. Pick 35 or 50W, 4300, 5 or 6K. Done. :D

As for the 35/50 watt kits, they will definitely fall in line with the Digital setups that I offer now - which is what I sold 90% of anyway.

You've got me interested! I love the digital kit, but the harness is kinda "meh". It gets the job done I guess, but really looks out of place under my hood.

I might have to order a new kit for my truck, and move the old one to my work truck.

:Hump:

MorimotoMoparCanbusHarness-0533_zpsfa8cb4ae.jpg

D33k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran the nightvision, at first everything went smooth for a few weeks, then I started getting the flicker issue. Just ordered some capacitors to fix the issue. Ill let you know if it helps. Basically from what I have gathered though is, with the can bus system, is some will have the lamp out issue, some will have flickering issue, some will have none. Best way to fix it is to run resistors+capacitors+relay (depending on issue) Or pay more and get canbus ballast that have capacitor built it.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
yeah, the BIGGEST issues I've seen with the kits.......
- Corrosion (lack of dielectric used in the connections)
- grounds - body grounds sometimes suck...
- 4th gen quads, capacitor polarity wrong - lights still work, but the capacitor isn't. Flickering starts, ballasts lock. No fun.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
all these wires and all the possible mistakes is what scares me away from getting hids even though i would love the light output of them

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
all these wires and all the possible mistakes is what scares me away from getting hids even though i would love the light output of them

Ditto! I've thought about it for over 4 years on my G8 and have NEVER pulled the trigger. I need my headlights to work!!! I looked into Phillips brand HID's which I believe many OE mfg's use. They're PRICEY, but IMO that may be a good thing.

I still won't do it though. It doesn't mean enough to me, to have to deal with all the issues.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I need mine to work also since its the only vehicle i have i cant go without my lights when something decides to mess up and im sure jj's kits when installed right will work without a problem but the install is what scares me since i know nothing about wiring and im sure i would mess up

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
If I recall correctly.........the new harnesses I have will have tags on them for each connection. ;) I think LOL

If not, really its mind boggling when you get it, but once you lay it out and look at it - its not bad really. On the 4th Gen quads, you'll have a run to the battery (or fuse box), 3 grounds, plugs for the ballasts and 1 input from the H11 plug on the driver's side. Easy. :D

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I guess ill have to see if the new harness is easier to play with

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
when I get my stock, I'll unravel 1 of each and take pics with where everything goes ;)

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when I get my stock, I'll unravel 1 of each and take pics with where everything goes ;)

I really wish I would have thought to do A DIY.
Easiest thing to remember with electronics. If it goes together it has to stay together with good contact to work.

Put dielectric grease if two things plug into one another.
Clean the paint off of your ground good fasten it then paint over the ground to keep it from corroding.
If possibly like where the wired all run into one side of the relays or cap, mount those facing down. Up causes it to hold water and can develop a leak.
JJ can totally correct me if I'm wrong on any of this but its was I learned working around this type of thing.
As far as the capacitor goes.... To check if I had it right I expected a delay when I turned off the lights. A capacitor is used to store energy so I assumed that's where the bulbs power is feeding from. When the relay shuts off so does the power. Once the caps power runs empty, that is when the bulbs shut off.
This was just my theory as to how the kit works. That could be totally wrong lol.