How to increase tail pipe size??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonzee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport with dual stock tips. Can anyone tell me how to increase my stock 2.25" tail pipe to a 4" tail pipe? I'm still running the stock cat back from Dodge. I bought gnarly 5" rear tips that require a 4" inlet pipe. I would prefer keeping my resonators in place but not sure on that one (trying to defeat the drone thing) but it limits how much room I can play with, so I'm on the fence with keeping the resonators. My new black 5" tips are 12" long!! So I have to figure out a way to fit a 4" pipe to the 2.25" stock pipe. Need some sort of (short joiner) to connect both size pipes. The muffler shops say they need lots of room to fit increaser(s) ie 2.25" to 3" diameter then another increaser from 3" to 3.5" and so on. So thinking outside the box here perhaps I should visit a machine shop to build me a (joiner) from 2.25" to 4" ??? Sorry for the long post folks. What have other people been doing?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions

OP
OP
J

jonzee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow !!!! I just ordered!!! I've been lookin all over the place Thanks a bunch

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
See Bob......RF kicks ass. :D

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had 5" Black tips installed yesterday on my 2011 Crew Cab. I picked up 2 4"OD-3"(doesn't really matter because shop will flare the 2.5" pipe to fit the 3") reducers from Napa. Had my resonators removed as well. I am running a 40series Flowmaster and I can tell you that having the resonators removed changed the sound. It is louder and rumbles more. Prior to having them removed I was getting a slight drone from 1st to 2nd gear for a few seconds but thats it. Now the drone is gone but the rumble is louder in the cab. You will have to cut the corner off of bumper mounting plate depending on how tucked up you want the tips. The tips look bad ass.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just had 5" Black tips installed yesterday on my 2011 Crew Cab. I picked up 2 4"OD-3"(doesn't really matter because shop will flare the 2.5" pipe to fit the 3") reducers from Napa. Had my resonators removed as well. I am running a 40series Flowmaster and I can tell you that having the resonators removed changed the sound. It is louder and rumbles more. Prior to having them removed I was getting a slight drone from 1st to 2nd gear for a few seconds but thats it. Now the drone is gone but the rumble is louder in the cab. You will have to cut the corner off of bumper mounting plate depending on how tucked up you want the tips. The tips look bad ass.

^^^^PICS? Since JJ posted his pics Ive been lookin at this too, but the ones i want (RBP) are around $120 a tip. Then add adapters and the shop. Cant make myself spend $400 on gettin tips put on. Which black tips did you go with?

OP
OP
J

jonzee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank-you very much, went to RBP's web site and ordered a set!!! You saved me a bunch of time!!!:happy107:

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No problem at all. Thats what the site is for. Helping other guys spend money so you dont feel so guilty about doing it yourself. Not sure how much you ended up paying for the adapters, but in the previous link i posted they talked about (Ramhunter9) of Db customs having some really good prices on them.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Should have came to me ... if you bought direct from them you paid to much .. LOL

Live and learn .

Welcome to RF

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^PICS? Since JJ posted his pics Ive been lookin at this too, but the ones i want (RBP) are around $120 a tip. Then add adapters and the shop. Cant make myself spend $400 on gettin tips put on. Which black tips did you go with?

MRBP tips, bout $70 a piece, adapters were $34 install was $120

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 209
  • Side Rear.jpg
    Side Rear.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Side Rear1.jpg
    Side Rear1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Quick Side View.jpg