Key Fob New Keys post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just wanted to contribute a tip as I haven't seen many posts on this. I ordered a Key Fob off Ebay and had it programmed by a locksmith. Just so everyone knows the 2010 Ram and after needs a locksmith or dealer to program, you cannot do it with the instructions you get off ebay. I believe even the 09 needs it but I'm not sure, anyone else? It still was a great deal, the key fob was only 25 bucks and the locksmith through in a chip key for cost, so for a total of $150 bucks I got two extra keys, one Fob and one chip key that also opens the door and tailgate. Just wanted to contribute.:patriot:

twlyons1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Laramie 4x4 crew 8' dually
Although we are still waiting for our new truck from factory,,,,it is to have this FOB and I have been wondering what a replacement key will cost,,,never fails we loose one key with every vehicle we get,,,,,usually with in 6 months :005:

Jblak87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 dodge ram 2500 4x4
Engine
Great info thank you for sharing with us I'm sure some members will find it helpful :D

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
that is great info, i thought you could only get a dealer to program it

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Some locksmiths get batches of Key Fobs that are perfectly fine and new never used, except the smaller key for truck portion is whack. These are usually about 25 bucks off of ebay and are great. I got mine from some guy named pauls locks or something like that in NY or NJ can't remember exactly. But the real cool thing is to get one of these keys (See Below) The cool thing about these keys are that they work in the ignition and the tailgate and the door lock, plus they are dirt cheap.

If your locksmith is like mine, he wont charge you for additional keys to be programmed, you just have to buy the key from them. The only downside is that the transponder key wont remote open your truck obviously. However, the reason it is great to have is because if for some reason your key fob wont start your ignition (stuff happens yeah?), then your transponder key will. You can carry both on your key chain because the transponder key is much smaller, and it eliminates the need for the tailgate key dodge gives you. So if you get a Key Fob made, it is kind of silly not to spend another 40 bucks or so to get the transponder key too. Now I have 4 keys that will start my ignition, 3 fobs and 1 transponder key. Hope it was helpful.:Wedgie:

Quietpeen, I had to go to 3 locksmiths until I found the one that had the computer. Not everyone will be able to, but I would say at least 50% of them will. Most national chain locksmiths should for sure.

31TGq%2B-PlDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited: