Knocking/Clunking When Braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDW123

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully somebody can help answer this one. I've got a '14 QC Express and I've got a knocking or clunking noise that happens when I'm braking. It's relative to speed as well. So essentially as I slow down, so does the noise. I can feel it in the pedal too. I've inspected the brakes, by just taking the wheel off, and they appear to be fine. Has anybody had this issue before? I'd rather not spend half my Saturday sitting at the stealership waiting for them to look at it and tell me something like my blinker fluid reservoir needed flushing.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully somebody can help answer this one. I've got a '14 QC Express and I've got a knocking or clunking noise that happens when I'm braking. It's relative to speed as well. So essentially as I slow down, so does the noise. I can feel it in the pedal too. I've inspected the brakes, by just taking the wheel off, and they appear to be fine. Has anybody had this issue before? I'd rather not spend half my Saturday sitting at the stealership waiting for them to look at it and tell me something like my blinker fluid reservoir needed flushing.

One or more of your brake pads are shifting in the caliper - causing the clunk. There could be a missing, loose or bent anti-rattle clip. Or - one or more of the calipers are loose, causing the clunk.

If under warranty - you could go to the dealership, but I suspect you have such a bad opinion of the dealer that you don't want too.

OP
OP
J

JDW123

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One or more of your brake pads are shifting in the caliper - causing the clunk. There could be a missing, loose or bent anti-rattle clip. Or - one or more of the calipers are loose, causing the clunk.

If under warranty - you could go to the dealership, but I suspect you have such a bad opinion of the dealer that you don't want too.
What gave it away?!

Thanks for the help. I'll check all the bolts and the clips again.