Lifter knock/tick, missing when starting engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickcornilsen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

I have a '14 Ram 1500, 5.7L hemi, 6spd, with MDS, 16,500 miles.

This morning when I started it, the truck was making a loud ticking/knocking sound, and was missing on at least one cylinder. The ticking sound decreased after a second or so, and after about 2 seconds the truck started running smooth and quit missing, and the lifter noise was gone. Ran fine after that. Immediately shutting it off and starting it, it didn't repeat.

-Has this happened to anyone before?
-Is it a known issue?
-Does anyone have any info on what to fix?

Thank you!

JustMove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Never heard of a 3 speed transmission in any new vehicle, my friend!

But the answer to your knock issue I believe is the oil pump was sleeping on the job and hadn't gotten the magic liquid circulated for a couple of seconds after startup.

Was the truck parked on an incline facing upward? And was it not started for a couple of days?

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
That sounds like you're exhaust manifold bolts are about to shear. That's been a common problem, I've had my '10 done twice now. When it's cold it knocks and sounds like crap but as soon as he manifold gets a little warm it starts to seal up. The longer you let it go the worse it will get/ longer time to quiet down.
Just my.02... If it's a 14, time for a trip to the dealer.

66dart273

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have also had the ticking noise as well. I have parked the truck on a flat, incline, and decline. And had the same problem no matter what area the truck is parked.

I have had my local Dodge dealer look at it, one told me it could be the rocker, the next dealer told me that was a lie and most likely the exhaust manifolds. These were two different dealers in Columbus, GA.

I have since moved to Colorado ( military ) and have had the truck looked at and was told they couldn't hear he knock or tick at all.

Now I can only hear it on start up and when the truck is cold and getting a little engine noise off a building or passing car. After a short warm up it goes away, not in seconds.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I don't have symptoms exactly like yours, but had lots of ticking knocking and noises. I spend all the time in the world worrying about it, trying to diagnose it myself, post symptoms here, use redline oil for about 30k miles now...

The only one thing that fixed it was a couple of persistent trips to the dealer and convincing them that it doesn't sound normal and is knocking... Even if yours stop knocking for some time, it'll start knocking again in months.. Sorry.

Anyway, dealer replaced some manifold bolts on mine 2013 hemi and also rocker arm assembly. After this work, the ticking and knocking sounds finally went away... And I wished that I made dealer fix these issues sooner.

Your goal is to figure out how to reproduce these noises and take it to dealership then.

The issue is that stupid dodge Chrysler can't get their **** together and produce a damn refined engine... Even though we're at 4th generation here... Bs. So even though you have a new truck, you have to have to catch few of the usual factory defects and make dealer fix those. My next truck will be Toyota... Never again American. I've been at the dealer 10 times now with my new truck...