Low Windshield fluid light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PalmettoAutobot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I have read most other threads here but has anyone had the issue where the low windshield washer fluid light is always on? I have a filled it to capacity, I have changed the sensor (a $2.70 part) and filled it back up and the light is still on. The temperature is well above freezing and the washer fluid is rated to -20degrees. Please help!

2012 ram 1500 outdoorsman 4x4 CC Sagebrush

merlin3606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have same problem. When it was 60 degrees out on the weekend it went off now it's 20 out and it's on

japowell03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Filled mine last weekend light went out came back on and stayed on. Reservoir is still full...

mikey0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guys, I have had this same problem, dealer changed 2 sensors and wiring pigtail. There is a suggestion from Chrysler that "customers complaining of low washer fluid, it has been determined that some treated washer fluids particularly the orange kind (Rainx) can cause the sensor to malfunction" It is suggested that customer uses non treated washer fluid.
So the explanation is this, the sensor is a 2 prong style sensor and uses the fluid as a conductive media. The "treated" washer fluid coats the prongs and a signal cannot get across the prong. They cleaned my sensor and changed my fluid and it has not come back on. Which sucks because I love my Rainx!! Not sure if this is what you guys are using but just some food for thought.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Guys, I have had this same problem, dealer changed 2 sensors and wiring pigtail. There is a suggestion from Chrysler that "customers complaining of low washer fluid, it has been determined that some treated washer fluids particularly the orange kind (Rainx) can cause the sensor to malfunction" It is suggested that customer uses non treated washer fluid.
So the explanation is this, the sensor is a 2 prong style sensor and uses the fluid as a conductive media. The "treated" washer fluid coats the prongs and a signal cannot get across the prong. They cleaned my sensor and changed my fluid and it has not come back on. Which sucks because I love my Rainx!! Not sure if this is what you guys are using but just some food for thought.

First welcome to RF!

Secondly, I love my Rainx as well as that is all I have ever run on just recently have I gotten the 'low washer fluid' coming on. Was about to change out the part but might have to just tear it down and try to clean it out.

Wonder what can be used in place of Rainx that is just as good. I hate the garbage gas stations and most places sell, it's probably just colored water.

japowell03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rainx here too. Maybe I will just jumper out the plug then. I think I'll know it's low when it no longer sprays. Just tired of the dummy light.

cfodor

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the info my wifes 2013 town and country has the light on and we use rain x washer fluid

Jmw5064

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I also used rainx and am seeing this problem. Has anyone switched to something else and saw the issue resolve?

lunchbox

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
I had the same issue, but by the sounds of it I got lucky, as mine was not plugged in tight enough. However before that, the dodge parts guy told me to tap the bottom of the washer bottle as it may be stuck. I dont think he knows they arent a floating style.

Geoff

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same thing here, called the dealer they told me the same thing about the sensor being coated from RainX

Chunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same problem and was running rainx. I took the tank out of the truck, emptied all the fluid I had and cleaned the sensor and tank. Filled back up with regular "blue water" and so far no light. I did notice a clear semi solid gunk all over the low fluid sensor.

Chunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The sensor is not hard to change. Just have to remove the tank from the vehicle and it pulls right out. Hardest part for me was taking my grill off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm having this problem right now. I've already had the part replaced and filled it with rainx and light would stay on. Took the bottle out and cleaned everything and refilled with the original blue stuff and light keeps coming on. Does anyone know how to disable the sensor or jump it. I would rather just keep using rainx and not worry about the sensor, yellow light on dash and stupid beep every time I start the truck.

Evil_Ed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, I was wondering why this started happening...and it was pretty solidly tied to the outside temp. Above 30 and it worked fine, below 30 and the low fluid warning came on. Guess I need to find another washing fluid...that's a shame, I really liked RainX.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone successfully cleaned the sensor without replacing it...or should it simply be replaced?

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
This really does suck! I love the Rain-x fluid. Have been using it for years.

If someone finds a suitable replacement (besides the generic blue stuff) please post it up!

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did a google search on this and apparently lots of car brands are complaining of the same problem.

VPRPWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3L Viper
At our dealership we have been draining and cleaning the sensor for customer vehicles that are still under warranty at no charge. Worth a shot to see if your local dealer will cover it for you.