Low Windshield fluid light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
damn it!! I knew it was because of the fluid... It hasn't happened in a week or so, now that i remembered it im sure the light will come on now and stay on. Thanks for jinxing me haha

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny, but not funny, I remember seeing this thread floating around when my damn low fluid light came on today and stayed on. I knew I wasn't low, but, son of a gun, I'm using RainX too. This is so dumb. I've used RainX in all of cars and trucks for years without any issues. It's not a big deal, I'll just switch, but I do not want to take the stupid grill off to take the tank off and clean it out in 0F temps.

Has anyone just switch the fluid out and have it work, or do you have to clean the sensor off now that it's "coated" with RainX? Also, I see that Windex sells washer fluid. I wonder if that's ok to use?

Jesus, every time I turn around it's something else with this truck!

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Funny, but not funny, I remember seeing this thread floating around when my damn low fluid light came on today and stayed on. I knew I wasn't low, but, son of a gun, I'm using RainX too. This is so dumb. I've used RainX in all of cars and trucks for years without any issues. It's not a big deal, I'll just switch, but I do not want to take the stupid grill off to take the tank off and clean it out in 0F temps.

Has anyone just switch the fluid out and have it work, or do you have to clean the sensor off now that it's "coated" with RainX? Also, I see that Windex sells washer fluid. I wonder if that's ok to use?

Jesus, every time I turn around it's something else with this truck!

I switched to this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...windshield-washer-fluid-234192-t35/10115606-P

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, when i started my truck, to go home from work, the low washer fluid light was off. I decided to ditch the RainX anyways so I ran it dry on my way to Walmart. I bought two gallons of the cheap blue stuff. I filled it up and the light did not come on.....yet. We'll see over time if it comes back. Stupid non-float type sensor.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did you have problems with RainX? I see that the stuff you're recommending here has the "rain repellent" additives as well and from everything I read, this causes problems with the two ponged washer fluid level sensors like we have in our Rams.....it coats the electrodes preventing them from "reading" the fluid.

I was having intermittent problems with rainX, some times it would tell me it was low when it was not, but it went away after a while, it did become an issue one week where it stayed on, but cleared and i never changed the fluid. However, I have been running this stuff all winter and i haven not had the issue since. Im thinking its rainX's additive that is causing the issue, this blend seems to be working ok so far.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the same problem, and I always used the orange RainX. But that begs the question, why did it take so long? I've had the truck for 7 years, and almost always (90%) of the time used RainX.

Anyways, I ordered the sensor, just having trouble finding where the old one is. Apparently I need to take out the entire darn fluid reservoir? Doesn't that require taking off the grill? Any advice is appreciated. I have a thread about this that I posted the other day....

Thanks!

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same problem, and I always used the orange RainX. But that begs the question, why did it take so long? I've had the truck for 7 years, and almost always (90%) of the time used RainX.

Anyways, I ordered the sensor, just having trouble finding where the old one is. Apparently I need to take out the entire darn fluid reservoir? Doesn't that require taking off the grill? Any advice is appreciated. I have a thread about this that I posted the other day....

Thanks!

Yes, from what I read, you have to take the grill off to get to the tank to take that off to get to the sensor.

usafwarrior930

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I had the problem with my RAM. I took the grill off to get to the sensor and basically took the inner copper wire from a piece of scrap wire I had laying around, and wrapped it around the two prongs from the sensor. It just grounds it out and then you'll never have the problem again. Just check your wiper fluid level every once in a while and you're good!

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Did you have problems with RainX? I see that the stuff you're recommending here has the "rain repellent" additives as well and from everything I read, this causes problems with the two ponged washer fluid level sensors like we have in our Rams.....it coats the electrodes preventing them from "reading" the fluid.
After months of putting cheap stuff in to clear the light like i was told nothing happened. Said screw it the other day and put summer rainx in...light turns off. Unbelievable.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those missing rainx You can always get the rainx spray from the parts store. Its like window wax. Ive always used that instead of the reservoir kind. It lasts a few months in SC weather.