New to DEF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hello again! I am new to the DEF needed in the newer diesels. I was told when purchasing my truck that a block heater is not needed. I also have just noticed around the area that the DEF at the diesel pumps have winter coats on them to help protect them I guess from the cold. Last year we had 3 weeks below 0 temps and a lot of those were in the -20's in the morning. Is the DEF ok in these temps? I have read that the engine will not run if something happens to run empty but what about freezing?

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Right out of the 2014 manual: "Extreme Cold Weather (Below –20°F Or −29°C)
To ensure reliable starting at these temperatures, use of an externally powered electric engine block heater (avail- able from your authorized dealer) is recommended."

I remember reading somewhere that there was a temperature that the manual said diesels MUST have a block heater, but I can't find that now. I would recommend a block heater and a timer, but that is up to you.

Sorry I can't help you with DEF as I have never used it.

Ram Racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am new to the DEF as well....just bought a 2015 but if the DEF is a oil would it freeze?

I would be more concerned with the fuel jellin up

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I drove semi, and currently drive a straight truck and both used DEF. I would not be too concerned about cold weather temps with DEF. The big trucks I drive house it in basically plastic tanks on the outside of the truck and never have any issues. As far as engine block heaters, while it will help, modern diesel fuel is not as prone to gel in cold temps. We dont even cover the front like they used to a few years ago.

If you are worried about the diesel gelling, get some fuel treatment.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I been a trucker for just over 20 yrs and in the last 3 i have been useing def...As the post above me says,no worrys on def..Tank will likely heat up some cause im almost sure it will have a heater in it of sorts..With my 2010 gas i never ran a front as per say but if i did ling highways drives in the cold i bought a $2.00 plastic boot mat and bungied a cpl cords in front of the rad..On a diesel you can do the same on the outside of the grill but newer trucks seem to run higher temps with all the new emmissions..