new to ram world, few issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tamcphail89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all, I'm new to the ram world. I just bought a 1 owner 2010 1500 SLT with 58k miles. It runs really well most of the time, but I've noticed a few things. Is it normal to have a vibration at around 30-40mph when in eco mode? It doesn't do it when i turn tow/haul mode off.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's a possible exhaust leak, cause i notice a definite ticking sound when i start it and upon acceleration. I've read that this is a well known 4th gen issue.

And today i noticed that around 55 and around 70 there's an odd sound coming from somewhere. It almost sounds like a honking sound, or an odd whistling sound. I'm almost positive it's from the front end, and not the rear.

I plan on taking it in to the dealership since i have a comprehensive warranty for a few months. I've never had a dodge, and i really like it, but i hope i didn't buy a problem truck.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RF. Enjoy the ride!!!

Take it to the dealership and do the warranty thing. At least see what they say. Decide from what you hear and what they say if it's BS or not.

It will give you a place to start. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

tamcphail89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's the plan for right now. I'm just worried that they will not be able to replicate anything. I bought it from a Toyota dealership, so they're not dodge techs.

Beyond that, I'm very impressed with the ride and performance. Are they any other common issues i should look for? Thanks.

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
Also, I'm pretty sure there's a possible exhaust leak, cause i notice a definite ticking sound when i start it and upon acceleration. I've read that this is a well known 4th gen issue.

Could be the "hemi tick" which is an engine noise. Changing to better oil usually helps eliminate this. There's lots of info on here about that - just do a thread search. My 2006 had it and was very sensitive to oil type. Higher grade synthetic such as amsoil and royal purple seem to help most.

Good luck at the dealer.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your warranty should work at a dodge dealer even if you bought the truck at a toyota dealer

OP
OP
T

tamcphail89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So would you guys recommend taking it into a local dodge dealership vs the Toyota dealership since i have the comprehensive warranty to covert it all? Thanks.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
your past the 3yr/36,000 mile factory warranty. If you have a warranty I'm sure its dealer specific. Go back to where you bought it and start there.

OP
OP
T

tamcphail89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shouldn't the powertrain be covered till 100k though?

OP
OP
T

tamcphail89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was under the impression that in 2010 dodge changed their powertrain warranty to cover for 5yr/100k miles regardless of the owner. That's also what i was told at the dealership before i bought it.

Thanks.

Dispatcher91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was under the impression that in 2010 dodge changed their powertrain warranty to cover for 5yr/100k miles regardless of the owner. That's also what i was told at the dealership before i bought it.

Thanks.

I take every word I hear at the dealership with a grain of salt, LOL.

OP
OP
T

tamcphail89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's true, but i was told that by multiple dealerships. Hopefully it won't turn into a problem, i would like to have a good experience with the ram.

Thanks.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it's 5/100,000 if the original owner bought it. 5/100,000 is a $1515 at cost upgrade, only the 3/36,000 warranty comes with the truck standard. However the original owner can also cancel the warranty after they trade the truck in to get some money back or before to drop the loan balance. It's the same with every auto company pretty much. Best thing would be to go to a dodge dealer and have them run a warranty check to see whether or not it's on that truck

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tamcphail89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I spoke with the dealership and he assured me that the factory powertrain warranty is still in effect. So my next step is to take it in to have the possible exhaust leak/hemi tick looked into, and the vibration at around 35-40 mph when eco mode kicks in. Also the whistling/honking sound at around 50 and 70 when accelerating.

Do you guys typically drive with mds on around town and stuff? On the highway it's fine, but around town it seems more of a nuisance.

Thanks

OP
OP
T

tamcphail89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bump. Do you guys have any ideas on the whistling/faint honking sound upon acceleration at certain speeds? I'd like to have a good idea of what it could be when i take it in. Also, when driving with eco mode on, it sounds like air is blowing like out of a vent, but the air isn't on, musky upon acceleration.

Thanks

Dispatcher91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That sounds like the mds cylinder management (eco mode) do you have stock or aftermarket exhaust? The rushing air noise could just be the mds running, meaning your engine is only using 4 cylinders and therefore less fuel. When you have an aftermarket exhaust you can really hear it, the exhaust note sounds like it goes from a big manly V8 Hemi to a 4cylinder dodge neon. Good news is it goes back to the manly sound when u put ur foot in it. The noise u described on acceleration could be the engine transferring back to all 8 cylinders to put out more power, and you may have not realized it was on if your exhaust is quiet.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

tkyle486

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
take it to the dealership and go through each issue and take notes on when the issues happen ie is the engine hot or cold. and take them for a ride everyone drives different so you showing them when you drive it might help. but then again when you do take it in the issue wont occur.