No 4.56 Gears for me :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srqFF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes I hate how the 1st gear is on my truck. It feels like I'm driving a CVT with the delay in shifting. Regearing wouldn't change that though would it?

OP
OP
IGarza11

IGarza11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea sorry I meant 3.55.

I just found a formula that should simplify gearing needed based on tire sizes and stock gears.

"Oh yeah. An increase in tire size will change the engine rpm to vehicle speed relation. A larger tire size will have the effect of having a lower rpm at the same speed before the tire swap. This can act as a "homebrew" overdrive, but it also decreases the acceleration of the truck (due to tire circumference and higher rolling mass). You can compensate by going to a lower gear ratio. To find out the proper new gear ratio just take your new tire size and divide it by your old tire size and multiply by the gear ratio.

For example. 31" tires stock replaced with 35" tires, 3.92 gear ratio stock. The new gear ratio should be 35/31 * 3.92 = 4.43. 4.56 is the closest available ratio. Due to the larger tire size and new gear ratio you would be close to the rpm/vehicle speed relation that the truck came with stock."

Original post: Can someone explain gear ratio's to me? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

So, 35/33*3.55= 3.76.

Wouldn't you want a gear ratio closest to 3.76 to keep the truck running the same as stock? Why the jump to 4.56?

I was going to go to 4.10 and reason i jumped so low (or high if you look at numbers) is cause the extra power/acceleration. I decided 4.56 cause I will soon decide to upgrade to 37's and dont want to have to pay more $$ to move from 4.10 to 4.56.