From a Noobie-Anyone Have Issues With Key Fob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garden Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1. I never had a vehicle with this radio transmitter key-I worry it will fail to start the truck or perhaps the battery in the transmitter will die and leave me stranded-is this realistic?

2. i am buying an SLT Crew Cab. Does the lower grade fabric hold up-or are only the top of the line interiors durable? can it be cleaned easily? As you can see from my screen name the truck and interior will get dirty.

3. Anyone have issues with the electric shift-on-the fly?

4. i am getting $7800.00 off list-sound good?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
1. The key being the reason the truck doesn't start is unrealistic. That should not happen.

2. The normal interior should hold up and clean up just fine. As long as you regularly clean and maintain it anything will last. Plus it's better than fixing it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum. The key fob shouldn't pose any issues. I've had them with both of my rams with no problems. No issues with the shift on the fly either. Interior should be ok also but I would get some seat covers if they are going to get fairly dirty.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I say go for it and live a little.

BlkPearlSport11'

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Black Sport Quad Cab 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes go with the new ram trucks are the best money can buy right now period absolutely love mine gets a lot of looks driving down the hwy!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to RF. I wonder if the new key fobs are basically the same as the keys with the chip, but i would think it shouldn't be an issue.

They are expensive, but i'm would look into weathertech floor mats since you know its going to get dirty inside.

$7,800 off list sounds good to me, but that doesn't mean much...LOL

ArcticRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Garden Truck,
I'm new here too, but may be able to shed a little light on your key fob question. Last year I bought a Ram 3500. About nine months after I noticed some problems with the doors not unlocking when I used the fob. I would try pushing buttons like a mad man, then suddenly my windows would roll down part way. This went on for about a week and would drive me crazy. Then one day my engine light came on, so I took the truck to my local dealership to get everything checked out (key fob, engine light, and a couple of minor recalls). Turns out that if the battery is low in the key fob it will cause your check engine light to come on. But it never prevented me from actually starting my truck. Hope this long-winded story helps you in some way. Good luck.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just don't wash it. My mother-in-law ran hers through the washer the other day. The fob still works in the ignition, but the unlock/lock features no longer function. Replacement quote from the dealer $220.

2010TRX4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe you are referring to the fact that the key is completely chip operated and no longer resembles a key. This function is not battery operated, so if the battery gives out it has nothing to do with the chip making contact with the ECM.

I had issues with the 4WD sensor, but you know, what can you get new with no electronic on-the-fly shifter? A power Wagon and a Raptor?

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mercedes have been using the same key for 10 years so if it was a problem then i'm sure they would have switched to another key. Only thing I don't like about the key is that when you push the button to unlock/lock the truck there is a slight delay.