Oil leak out of the box.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stopped by the dealer to show them the loose bolt. They've been great to work with. Said they wanted to add the dye, but didn't. Added it today. The tech that tightened the bolt said he had issues with his hemi that had a factory defective main seal. With the wet oil I saw around that inspection plate, its my guess for the source of the leak. Hope the dye will confirm so this can get resolved.

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup! Me too. I am doing my own oil changes with this 2016 and was having a look underneath, scouting out where the oil filter and drain plug are located and found this. Seems to be the same as everyone else has pointed out ...

Attachments

• File 2016-10-19, 5 37 35 PM.jpg
    File 2016-10-19, 5 37 35 PM.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 68
  • File 2016-10-19, 5 36 22 PM.jpg
    File 2016-10-19, 5 36 22 PM.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 64

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was talking today with a truck driver friend who said with some new Diesel engines with the dpf systems the crank case is so tight they are blowing rear main seals. I wonder if this could be part of the hemi's problem with leaky rear main seals. Now, is there another way to vent that won't hurt the engine and computer settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there a benefit to adding an oil catch can with a filter that will reduce crankcase pressure and help the rear main seal...seal?

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still a leakdd56d179cc77726efe00f59eb6f6e23b.jpg5d63da69a2217db8a901adc3ea3561a9.jpgfc169dbb13db1c8b7c2a1195c28a43e2.jpg

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
A catch can isn't really meant to reduce crankcase pressure, that's what the PCV valve is for. If the rear main is leaking, it needs to be replaced.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A catch can isn't really meant to reduce crankcase pressure, that's what the PCV valve is for. If the rear main is leaking, it needs to be replaced.

Perfect. That is the knowledge I was hoping to tap into by posting the question! Any idea what causes a rear main to leak? Not lubricated causing a tear? Could I have PCV issues that I should look for? Thanks tach tech!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you sure that's oil? The 8speed trans fluid isnt red and looks very similar to motor oil...

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Perfect. That is the knowledge I was hoping to tap into by posting the question! Any idea what causes a rear main to leak? Not lubricated causing a tear? Could I have PCV issues that I should look for? Thanks tach tech!

A seal can can leak due to any number of issues. Improper installation, manufacture defect,physical damage. Excess pressure can cause the rear main to leak but I'd be skeptical that's the cause.

Have you had it diagnosed properly? If you have the 8 speed, it could be a transmission leak as well. The 8 speed fluid looks very similar to engine oil.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the 8 speed. Are they known to leak? I didn't see posts on that issue yet.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you sure that's oil? The 8speed trans fluid isnt red and looks very similar to motor oil...

I guess I'll have to wait and see what they come up with. Now that they added dye to the oil. I hope they can tell the difference between the trans fluid and engine oil. Is the trans leak from a main seal behind the torque converter?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have the 8 speed. Are they known to leak? I didn't see posts on that issue yet.

No they're not known to leak, neither is the HEMI.

It's going to be hard to distinguish between engine oil and transmission fluid if the put dye in the oil. The 8 speed fluid already has a dye in it. So now you've got engine oil and transmission fluid with dye.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No they're not known to leak, neither is the HEMI.

It's going to be hard to distinguish between engine oil and transmission fluid if the put dye in the oil. The 8 speed fluid already has a dye in it. So now you've got engine oil and transmission fluid with dye.

They must have done something to mine eg torqued it up ( which they said they didnt at the time btw) as its not weeping anymore. Still keeping an eye on it. ususally noticed a drip hanging there approx every 500 miles or so.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Taking my truck in on Monday morning for them to look it over. I am expecting a rear main seal. Time will tell, hoping for nothing serious.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, my 2014 Sport with the 8 speed had this exact leak. They replaced the rear main seal and some other seal (I cannot remember the name...."oil valley plug"?). Anyway, it's wet in that area again after about a year. There isn't a drip forming this time so they won't do anything about it. I'm just gonna keep an eye on it. I'll most likely get rid of the truck before it becomes a big issue anyway. But, just for the hell of it, I'm going to check and see if any bolts are loose.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup, my 2014 Sport with the 8 speed had this exact leak. They replaced the rear main seal and some other seal (I cannot remember the name...."oil valley plug"?). Anyway, it's wet in that area again after about a year. There isn't a drip forming this time so they won't do anything about it. I'm just gonna keep an eye on it. I'll most likely get rid of the truck before it becomes a big issue anyway. But, just for the hell of it, I'm going to check and see if any bolts are loose.

Thanks for the info. Seems like a lot of oil up toward the manifold. I'm wondering if it's the oil valley plug like you mentioned.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealer will be replacing the rear main today. It appears from what they said there is a retainer that is bolted in holding the rear main seal in that was leaking the oil. I didn't see it so I can't be sure I'm translating this properly. They told me they've seen a few of these, but that it isn't too common. A lot of work to get the repair done. Thank God it is under warranty.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Done. Checked it out under the truck and after a day is still dry. Happy. [emoji4]a big thanks to the crew at my dealership.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Done. Checked it out under the truck and after a day is still dry. Happy. [emoji4]a big thanks to the crew at my dealership.

Obviously, just keep an eye on it. After my rear main was replaced it remained dry for months. Now (about a yr later) it's wet again. There isn't any drops forming yet so Chrysler won't do anything about it. The good thing is it would be covered under the power train warranty so I'm good for a while.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Obviously, just keep an eye on it. After my rear main was replaced it remained dry for months. Now (about a yr later) it's wet again. There isn't any drops forming yet so Chrysler won't do anything about it. The good thing is it would be covered under the power train warranty so I'm good for a while.

Sorry to hear that. I hope for better luck. I'll move it on down the road if mine comes back. I really do love it, the 8 speed is great with the 3.92 gears. Plenty of get up and go. But I was really disappointed with it when it dripped on my brand new tiled garage floor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel