Outside Air Temp Way Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdomke1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've only had my 2014 Ram 1500 Tradesman for about a month but just noticed this last weekend that the outside air temp is listed about 30-50 degrees to high. I never noticed it before. In the morning the temp is just fine but after either driving for a while or sitting in the sun it becomes unbelievable. The other day it showed 130 degrees when it was only 85 outside. Even after driving on the freeway it only went down to 120. So far, I have done the following in case any of these might have caused this issue: upgraded 5.0 to 8.4an radio, added steering wheel audio controls, added tonneau cover, added cargo rubber mat, added rear camera, and added cold air intake. Everything is Mopar except the CAI and tonneau cover. I noticed the air temp was wrong after installing the 8.4 radio and CAI. Any ideas?

akra11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab, 8 speed
Engine
5.7 ltr Hemi - 8 Speed; T1000 Diabolo - Custom Hemi Tune
Talk to the dealer, had the same on mine and the replaced the whole mirror with the temperature probe in it.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jdomke1

jdomke1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, so nothing to do with the radio or CAI? I just didn't want to spend money for a dealership to blame my upgrades on the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The sensor is in the drivers mirror , mine read 128°f yesterday in direct sunlight all day , but for me after driving about 5 miles it was down to 86°

OP
OP
jdomke1

jdomke1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've only has my truck for a few months but the temp issues were never there until after I upgraded my radio. Since it's obviously just a coincidence I'm going to take it in. It should be 30-50 degrees off. If they put it somewhere that gets direct sunlight then I would imagine it's been engineered to deal with it.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I've only has my truck for a few months but the temp issues were never there until after I upgraded my radio. Since it's obviously just a coincidence I'm going to take it in. It should be 30-50 degrees off. If they put it somewhere that gets direct sunlight then I would imagine it's been engineered to deal with it.

While not related, do not even mention the radio upgrade when you take it in.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Many of us have upgraded from the RA1 and RA2 to the 8.4 with no issues. It's definitely a coincidence. The radio only reads the signal that is sent to it all 13 and up trucks use the same temp sensor so the radio is a moot point. As Hootbro mentioned don't say a word about the radio just tell them the temperature is off. Unfortunately in so many cases the dealers are so incompetent they will try to blame it on the radio.

OP
OP
jdomke1

jdomke1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got my ambient air temp sensor replaced at dealer and it's not much better. Still at least 20-30 off.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my ambient air temp sensor replaced at dealer and it's not much better. Still at least 20-30 off.

Take it back because that's obviously still not right. You're under warranty, so make them fix it correctly.

OP
OP
jdomke1

jdomke1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Exactly what I plan to do except my local dealership is complete garbage. Took it in with a CIL on, gave them the three codes in the computer without erasing, one being the ambient air. The main issue I was having when the CIL came on was this jerking every time I braked or started from a stop. They fixed the ambient, not, and claimed that fixed my other problems too. What a load of crap. Had my truck for four business days and fixed one of four items reported and claimed I was done. Never use Cabral in Manteca if you can.