over charging alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Took my truck n today for the squealing noise and cruise control issues I'm having, they sayin that my alternator bearings where going out at 1st then came back an said the alternator is over charging and that u need a new one, I just thought this is strange being a new vehicle for that to be goin out, what u guys think, or is there a way I can check to see for my self if it's bad, also said that it could be messing with the signals for cruise control, they want $700 somethin to fix it but they can't tell me for sure if it's what's causing the squealing noise, I'm thinkin this is b.s. but then again I'm not mechanic so I dunno

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
No warranty left?

OP
OP
hemi1282

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Naw, **** started to mess up after 36k bumper to bumper was up

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it has been a few weeks but thought I would give some input anyway.

Squealing could be a loose fan belt or maybe it needs to be replaced, they do wear. The alternator could be bad as they stated, bearings do wear some earlier than others. Over charging making a noise? Personally never heard of it.

Other things that can make noises are idler pulleys, a few issues have been posted about them with this problem. Transmissions have been known to make noises so that could be a possibility too.

Let us know what they found out and did to your truck.