Parking brake pedal not returning enough to trip switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've had my '13 1500 Express for close to 6 months now. For the past few weeks I've had to park on the hilly part of my driveway, so I've been setting the parking brake. Most times when I disengage it the light stays on. I usually apply and release it again and it's ok. This morning I couldn't get it to turn off, so I took a closer look. It appears that the pedal is not returning as far as it needs to in order to trip the switch. To get the light off, I have to pull the release handle and push the pedal up about an inch. If I don't pull the handle it won't move up any. I'm not sure if the pedal isn't returning all the way, or if the switch isn't adjusted properly and isn't tripping early enough in the travel.

I would normally think the pedal return spring was worn. But, the truck just hit 3 years in service and has less than 30k miles. Also, the pedal comes up violently when I pull the release, so the spring seems strong.

Any ideas or suggestions?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not much to add, but mine just started doing the exact same thing. Haven't had time to check it out yet.

OP
OP

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I noticed earlier that now that I'm pushing the pedal up, the cable is hanging a bit under the truck. I've never been able to see it without getting on the ground but now I can.

I don't know if that means that the cable has too much slack and that's part of the issue. Or, it could be that the pedal is stopping where it should when released and I'm manually moving it too high.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It sounds like your cable isn't too slack based on the fact that it returns "violently". I would check the seating end of the sheath and the bracket that it mounts in under the truck. If the bracket is bent, or the end of the cable has popped out, it would certainly change the position of "released" between the cable and the sheath. Would also likely explain why you can now see your cable when you couldn't before. Also make sure both cables to each wheel are of equal tension when the brake is set. One or the other may have come out of adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk