PCM and TCM flashes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious why my invoice shows two separate line items for flashing. As both seem to show same part number software used ?

first one:

" E flash Software 1 software flash for PCM
181906CU Flash PCM"

second line:

"F Flash Software 2 software flash for TCM
181906CU Flash PCM"

Bit confused as to why they both state 181906CU flash for pcm and TCM. Will bring this up when I go back

Last edited:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Two separate modules were flashed.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Leave the dealer alone, it is just two separate line items to prove the work was done. Especially if it was for warranty billing to FCA.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leave the dealer alone, it is just two separate line items to prove the work was done. Especially if it was for warranty billing to FCA.

Sorry must have misunderstood me , I wasnt complaining . I merely wanted to know why both tcm and pcm share the same code 181906CU when research indicates pcm and tcm have a slightly different codes.

I was under the impression the TCM was flashed as well as the PCM, but looks like just PCM was. Will ask them to flash tcm also when they change front wheel hubs and homelink buttons.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Potentially. They do need to talk to one another so sharing the same communication protocol and data would be a good idea to facilitate that.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
With the same 181906CU?

Software can have multiple execution packets with the same master suite part number.

Your quoted line item delineation of "E flash Software 1 software flash....." and "F flash Software 2 software flash...." while similar is still distinct and different.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Software can have multiple execution packets with the same master suite part number.

Your quoted line item delineation of "E flash Software 1 software flash....." and "F flash Software 2 software flash...." while similar is still distinct and different.
So was both my PCM and TCM flashed ?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
So was both my PCM and TCM flashed ?

As I read the invoice quoted, I would say yes. But then again, I was not standing over the guy watching him and being super paranoid.

If you got trust issues, then by all means, go ask them. Obviously nothing said here is going to reassure you.

Me personally, unless the engine and transmission is running crappy or having issues to cause alarm, I would not be wrapped up around a part number being used twice on an invoice. .

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I read the invoice quoted, I would say yes. But then again, I was not standing over the guy watching him and being super paranoid.

If you got trust issues, then by all means, go ask them. Obviously nothing said here is going to reassure you.

Me personally, unless the engine and transmission is running crappy or having issues to cause alarm, I would not be wrapped up around a part number being used twice on an invoice. .
Wasnt looking for reassurances. Was merely asking a simple question. Thank you fella.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The numbers listed on your invoice are not part numbers, they are labour op codes used for warranty purposes. The reason it's the same for both the TCM/PCM is that the op code 18-19-06-CU likely includes flashing both modules.

Many times when updating the TCM it will require that the PCM is up to date first. So if the PCM is not the latest software release, then it must be updated first before updating the TCM otherwise you run the risk of messing **** up.

That's you're answer.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The numbers listed on your invoice are not part numbers, they are labour op codes used for warranty purposes. The reason it's the same for both the TCM/PCM is that the op code 18-19-06-CU likely includes flashing both modules.

Many times when updating the TCM it will require that the PCM is up to date first. So if the PCM is not the latest software release, then it must be updated first before updating the TCM otherwise you run the risk of messing **** up.

That's you're answer.
Thank you , [emoji10] was meant to be a smiley not a kiss honest.