Question about normal or abnormal gear ring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco628

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did a fluid change today and while rotating around the gears and looking for anything out of the usual.

First off I am not a mechanic, just a hobbyist who has always done his own vehicle maintenance. That being said I noticed some marring on the ring gear which is not present anywhere else on the ring. I did not notice any maring on the pinion.

I am 3,000 miles away from my 3yr/36000 mile warranty. Is this something of concern that I should bring to the dealerships attention?

gears017-15-2012.jpg
gears027-15-2012.jpg
gears037-15-2012.jpg

Last edited:

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the thickness of the teeth that are scarred and compare to the other teeth if they are wore down greatly, I would bring it to the dealers attention. But if its just a scar and not any cracks or breaks it should be fine till you swap them out.

It aint easy.... bein' Easy ;)

OP
OP
Bronco628

Bronco628

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I unfortunately did not measure the thickness. The amount of metal didn't look too worn at all. I will bring it up to them on my visit next week.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
It is possible that it is just a bypropuct of the machining process... They may have had some tooling that was a little too close to end of life replacement, and they had to touch up your ring gear after the fact...

Did you feel any additional resistance as you rotated the ring gear past the point where this "wear" contacted the pinion? Also, if you are already at 36,000 miles, and that is all the wear you have, it was probably just break in wear if anything and you will be fine, unless of course you felt a lot of extra resistance when you rotated the driveshaft, and axles.

OP
OP
Bronco628

Bronco628

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is possible that it is just a bypropuct of the machining process... They may have had some tooling that was a little too close to end of life replacement, and they had to touch up your ring gear after the fact...

Did you feel any additional resistance as you rotated the ring gear past the point where this "wear" contacted the pinion? Also, if you are already at 36,000 miles, and that is all the wear you have, it was probably just break in wear if anything and you will be fine, unless of course you felt a lot of extra resistance when you rotated the driveshaft, and axles.

Fortunantly I felt no resistance or any roughness. It just looks like a coating has worn off. No metal shavings and my oil was super clean.

I appreciate the input. It was a little odd that is was just those two little spots and everything else looked pristine. I was happy to see everything in good looking shape.

OP
OP
Bronco628

Bronco628

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Follow up from my dealership. He said the ring gears are cast and sometimes needs to be cleaned up.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I should have known those would be cast... It would be much easier than setting up the tooling to actually machine them. Bet they replaced the casting shortly after your set lol. I can only imagine what the machining guys would say to me if i sent them a DXF with that ring gear, they would probably just shake their heads, and say, "F*ing engineers," lol.