R46 Track Bar Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteLimited14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So I just purchased the truck in Houston at the end of December 2015. 30k miles on it and ABSOLUTELY love the truck! Truck came with no running boards which sucked even though I'm 6'4". Drove the truck home to west Florida and put some Amp Power Steps on as an additional xmas present to myself. Hauled race trailer to Daytona right after Xmas with no issues and rode like a Cadillac. Upon returning home, my LF tpms sensor apparently went out. So I take it to my local dealer to have it fixed, have all the open recalls looked at and have a alignment done. 6hrs later the service tech comes in and grabs me, takes me out to the truck and shows me the cracked track bar bracket... Below the lap weld everyone is to look at. They told me that Monday they will start the process about the fix and they plan to have a crew fly in from Mexico to remove and weld a new bracket in place with a specialized welding apparatus. I did not take a picture as my heart was broke when they told me this news! I will cruise by in this crappy charger they gave me to drive this week and take a pic. Cracked bracket pic to be uploaded ASAP! Luckily my dealer didn't flinch on the truck being lifted, big tires, etc, etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 258

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You know I've red something about this but was sure if it was on the 1500. I've been noticing a clicking/ cracking sound at random upon acceleration. Could you take a pic of the problem area?

OP
OP
WhiteLimited14

WhiteLimited14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Will get a pic tomorrow. The only sounds from the suspension I heard prior to knowing I had the issue was during turning while hitting a dip or bump. Minor click on each side but noticeable. Dealership was surprised to find an issue as they have inspected over 300 vehicle and mine is the 2nd to have an issue

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
My truck is apart of this recall but the dealer said that I should get a letter from Chrysler, they are suppose to get the parts from Chrysler to do the recall. I'm looking on trading it in for a 2016 2500 6.4L soon though.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Recall does not apply to the 1500s. The 1500 has a completely different front end set up.

We've done quite a few of these recalls as well. So far we haven't had any that needed any repairs. Sucks it's your truck but sounds like the dealer is trying to make it as painless as possible.

OP
OP
WhiteLimited14

WhiteLimited14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Update: was told today that they were not going to fix this problem as it is still structurally sound... My ass is already full of smoke! Pic's

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 727
OP
OP
WhiteLimited14

WhiteLimited14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Close up... Rusted crack running down back of bracket

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 408

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Is that actually a crack in the weld or is just a spot where the weld was stopped them started? It's hard to tell in that picture though. Is kinda odd that your dealer changed their mind. I'm just going by the ones I've inspected and that spot seems to be a common start/stop point for the weld.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
WhiteLTD, i dont see any damage to your weld. How does it look underneath front & back?

For everyone else, if your bracket breaks, DO NOT HAVE SOME ONE ELSE OR AN AFTERMARKET SHOP REPAIR IT!!!!! DODGE/CHRYLSER/RAM WILL NOT FIX IT UNDER THE RECALL. We had one in our shop that broke. An aftermarket shop welded the bracket back on to get the guy down the road. On every vehicle that has failed inspection or is suspected of failing, we have to submit pics & talk to tech assist. In this case, they said the frame cannot be welded on a 3rd time & we must replace the frame. 1st weld: factory
2nd weld: aftermarket repair
3rd weld: would be recall repair
We would also need to talk to out district manager for possible repair under warranty. As a tech, i wouldn't wanna look at the same truck for a month straight to swap out a frame & jump through all the warranty hoops. As a customer, i couldnt even begin to imagine the anger & frustration.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So I just purchased the truck in Houston at the end of December 2015. 30k miles on it and ABSOLUTELY love the truck! Truck came with no running boards which sucked even though I'm 6'4". Drove the truck home to west Florida and put some Amp Power Steps on as an additional xmas present to myself. Hauled race trailer to Daytona right after Xmas with no issues and rode like a Cadillac. Upon returning home, my LF tpms sensor apparently went out. So I take it to my local dealer to have it fixed, have all the open recalls looked at and have a alignment done. 6hrs later the service tech comes in and grabs me, takes me out to the truck and shows me the cracked track bar bracket... Below the lap weld everyone is to look at. They told me that Monday they will start the process about the fix and they plan to have a crew fly in from Mexico to remove and weld a new bracket in place with a specialized welding apparatus. I did not take a picture as my heart was broke when they told me this news! I will cruise by in this crappy charger they gave me to drive this week and take a pic. Cracked bracket pic to be uploaded ASAP! Luckily my dealer didn't flinch on the truck being lifted, big tires, etc, etc.

First recall said to have it inspected and if the weld is cracked then the team would have to re-weld. My truck inspection showed no problem. THEN I get another recall notice that says to have the truck inspected and if not cracked the dealer will have to install additional brackets. This entails drilling holes in the frame for installation. What a bunch of BS. Drilling in a frame? Anyway my appointment is for the end of March so the dealer can get the parts in.
One other issue- the truck was built in Mexico and they are sending in Mexicans (from Mexico) to re-weld the bracket. How does that make sense?