Rack and Pinion / Pump pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wogman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hello Everyone,
Newbie here. My 19 year old son purchased a 2010 1500 Crew Cab with 6" Rough Country suspension lift and 4" body Dec 19, 2013. Runs with 38's. Has now gone through 4 Mopar Reman rack and pinions due to leaks out the boots. Last one, power steering pump was also replace with used unit. He was told it was caused by the tie-rod angle due to lift kit applying upwards stress onto the rack. Also told that the wheels were also the cause. His 2008 Ford ranger has a 6" lift with 35's and has never had an issue. The tie rod angles are similar and I imagine 35's to 38's are also similar ratio wise. "Truck size : Tire size". I also have contacted a Shop a few hours away where I have purchased my tuner and exhaust for my 2011 2500 6.7 CTD, they lift many ram 1500s and can't see this being a problem. I thought this might be caused by too high of pressure so I suggested they replace the pump assuming pressure regulating valve might be built into the pump. Less than 120 kms / 70 miles, the rack busted again. I might be completely off by thinking this and could use some advise.

I have now decided to take a look at this issue. I have checked:
- I have removed and rack on Saturday and tore it down. Seals are blown, no signs of external forces prying on the shaft/bushings and barrel.
- Made sure mechanical stops are coming into contact and rack not bottoming out.
-Suspension completely extended with truck on hoist, tie rods still not binding in joints.
- Ruled out high pump pressure having replaced pump. Wanted and will check pressure when I get necessary adapters. Also need to know Pump Pressure.

Observation: Rack does not allow for relief, "Port Relief" between left and right side of barrel and rotary valve. I wonder if 38s when under load to rack and create too high of internal pressure forcing out the seal.

I have now ordered new seal kits, which weren't easy to find and will re-seal the rack. Questions I have for you guys:
- Does anyone know what pump output pressure spec is?
- Does anyone have this similar se up? 6" lift with 38s tires.
- Has anyone experience this issue?
- Has anyone have any input.

Thanks in Advance!

Best Regards,
Wogman.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds to me like the rack just cannot handle the push and pull forces exerted by the tires. this creates higher than expected internal pressures inside the rack.

Izzyb47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mopar 4.7l
Same issue with a 3rd gen

Hey my 2002 4x4 is have I think the same issue about to go to its 3rd rack and I found out the power steering systems on these need to be filled with atf4. I believe at some point someone filled with power steering fluid and is causing an issue either with pressure or like sludge buildup in the system. 1500 6" lift on 37s

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Hey my 2002 4x4 is have I think the same issue about to go to its 3rd rack and I found out the power steering systems on these need to be filled with atf4. I believe at some point someone filled with power steering fluid and is causing an issue either with pressure or like sludge buildup in the system. 1500 6" lift on 37s

Yeah atf4 I put power steering fluid that met chrysler spec stupid me and nearly trashed my pump.