Random flashing/flickering backlight on instrument cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
my instrument cluster just started flickering and at idle not driving truck is warm also dealer time I guess.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
For those of you with the flickering problem with the dimmer set fairly low, I have an update, and you won’t like it. Chrysler is aware the software update didn’t fix the issue, and that this time they have no plans to attempt another repair. I learned this awhile ago and forgot to say anything.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I know the thread is old mine does this as well. Only happened 2 times. Always have my dimmer down low. No fixes?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I know the thread is old mine does this as well. Only happened 2 times. Always have my dimmer down low. No fixes?

The fix is not turning it down so low, as of right now there is no fix and no plan to make a fix.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, after a year, my freaking replacement instrument cluster is now flickering too!! I do not have my dimmer turned down at all. It's on the setting where it goes bright and dim if the lights are on or off. I'm really getting sick of Chrysler's junk. That new Chevy Trail Boss is starting to look good to me now.

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
Mine does it. Dealer never heard of it. “No star case on file. I must be the first one it’s happening to.” Showed them a video.

Tboney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been having this same issue for about the past 8 months. Dimming, fuses, temperature....nothing fixes it. It’s not constant, happens for a few days then it’s ok for a few weeks. Always comes back. I asked the dealer about it when I went in for a recall, they never heard of this. I showed the video and said it may be alternator, which it’s not. I called Chrysler and got nowhere, like I am the only one with this issue. All they said was to go to the dealer and have all recalls done, but this is not a recall. Are they any updates to this issue in the last few months?

Gabriel Ryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heni 5.7
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman. Just did an oil change and reset the oil indicator, by turning the key to on, and pressing the gas peddle 4 times. My instrument cluster started to flicker. Never saw this before now. The issue is random, and seems to depend on the position of the Light Switch and whether the truck is running or not. With key in ON position and engine OFF, there is flickering regardless what I do. With the engine running with the Headlight Switch in Auto, flickering is random, in OFF flicker is constant, in Daytime Running, flicker is constant, and with Headlights ON, there is no flicker, for now.

I did remove and re-seat the cluster 10A fuse, and I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes.

Four hours later. Flickering has stopped in all switch situations. maybe removing the power solved the problem maybe not.

What I did note and what others have mentioned before is that ALL the fuses are only part way in, not fully seated. This may have been the original cause of the problem. One thing for sure is that it is a great way to build up a repair business. Sooner or later a fuse will come loose and you will be paying several hundred dollars to a garage to fault find.

Last edited: