Random Wire with jumper installed 2014 3500 6.7 Trades man

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well while I was driving today I noticed what I thought was one of my jumper wires from my tool bag by my feet under the E-brake

So when I got to the job site I went to pick it up and noticed one end was clipped to a skinned purple wire with a white stripe and the other end was clipped up under the dash but as soon as I grabbed it it came free. I could hear it release from what ever it was hooked to. I assume it was just grabbing bare metal for a ground but am not sure. Purple wire has 12V when keyed
I traced it back to the body control module top left plug A I think

Any idea what its for?
I have it secured for now so it wont ground out while im driving just to be safe

IMG_4641.jpg"]IMG_4641.jpg[/URL]

IMG_4643.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
W

walter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
OK so my my dash says remote start is disables by hood pin.

A closer look I think the Purple wire with white stripe is tied to a purple with Light Blue stripe on Plug A on the BCM the research I can find is this is for the hood pin. Would this be grounded?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That would be for the hood pin for installing a factory remote start. That wire should go to the hood switch if it was installed properly.

OP
OP
W

walter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That would be for the hood pin for installing a factory remote start. That wire should go to the hood switch if it was installed properly.

I looked and don't find any wires going to hood latch and didn't find any pin switches around the hood
I double checked found wire has 12v always my first post I said when keyed but that was wrong.
With hood open and closed wire always have 12v

I looked under the dash the jumper is not long and looks like it will only reach bare metal but could have been on a wire that spring up where I can't see it.

From what the Ram history shows the truck had remote start installed from dealer

Any more ideas?

Thanks for the help

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The violet with light blue wire that comes out of the BCM A connector is for the factory hood ajar sense, so that's what the wire is for. That little jumper with alligator clips is not a factory thing. It's possible that there was an issue with the hood switch so someone just ran into ground to bypass the switch. Does the remote start work?

OP
OP
W

walter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The violet with light blue wire that comes out of the BCM A connector is for the factory hood ajar sense, so that's what the wire is for. That little jumper with alligator clips is not a factory thing. It's possible that there was an issue with the hood switch so someone just ran into ground to bypass the switch. Does the remote start work?

No I get the remote start is disables by hood ajar on the dash. Im thinking it was just clipped to a ground under the dash but with it having 12v on it I want to hook a fuse to it just to be safe before i ground it.

OP
OP
W

walter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well I hooked a small 3amp fuse to the mystery wire all is good now.
So I guess Ill install a pin switch to the hood just to be safe

Thanks again Tach-Tech