Rear-end Issues Again.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So pinion bearing started howling again and it seems to be the bearing is likely failing. So far since I bought the truck with 27k I have put 3 pinion seals, u joints, and this will be the 3rd set of pinion bearings. I am beginning to wonder if the driveshaft is an issue since I have had issues with vibration and multiple installers have installed pinion bearings that have failed and seals that have failed. I have tried 3 brands of pinion bearings too, koyo, timken and some other napa brand.

Any thoughts chime in please.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ouch.... not good news bud. sorry to hear you're having troubles

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Your 4.56 install was a mass produced product right? Since you have the pre-2011(?) axles, but is it possible they screwed up the install, and the ring gear wobbles or something?

KLRpanda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
what degree is your drive shaft at?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the driveshaft was the problem, it should be affecting your transmisson as well, unless maybe the pinion end ujoint yoke is machined off center in relation to the d/s.

I'm wondering if they left something out the 1st time they did it, and no one has put it back in. Some axles have things called flinger rings that help get oil to the bearings/seal, and they look just like a spacer or big washer. Without them, they could be starving for oil.

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well I emailed Chrysler and got a response from a case manager who is going to call me and see what can be done. I pointed out I have had everything in there replaced and just want to find solution not complain.

$miley

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Dropping off the truck tomorrow they will have all week to get it fixed and hopefully find what went wrong. I have aftermarket warranty that I am trying to get to cover the repair... we will see when I get back on Friday if it is done and correct or not.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Smiley Im from the Fargo area. Which dealer are you going to?

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Had been going to Corwin had nothing but problems in fact they created the problem when they first did the pinion seal. I took it to my friend at Schumacher Downtown to get it done correctly.

$miley

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah good idea smaller garages that see everything usually can find a problem and fix it right the first time. I'm not a fan of any of the dealers in the area just because most of the tech that work for them don't have time to actually trouble shot the problem they just throw parts at it hoping it will work because thats what the dealer wants them to do.

Red94yj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sad to say but dealers usually just do routine work. In my opinion I would have taken the truck to an offroad shop. They do gear installs, axle swaps, and driveshaft work everyday. Well trusted business for this type of work. They would have fixed it the first time.
Take your driveshaft off and have it balanced again. If its off a hair it can cause terrible vibration.
Good luck!

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I don't think we even have an off road shop. Dealers are indeed good at trial and error parts swap. They struggle with actually problems or anything none traditional.

$miley

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well good news it was not the pinion bearing this time. It was the outside carrier bearing. My friend said it was weird because the bearing had started to come apart. The best news is that the warranty company is covering under warranty and I am only paying $25 which is my deductible. The Yukon kit we used during Auburn install had Timken bearings which I thought were good so must have just been a bad batch or something. Pick her up tomorrow and will have her for the move. Time to do some towing.

$miley

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Okay so apparently I am contradicting myself. It says on the work order that they replaced inner and outer pinion bearings, crush sleeve, and lube. It was 522 in labor so glad I was not buying.

$miley

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Good timing too we had some snow and ice stuff here so glad to have it back.

homeyclaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
just shopping
Engine
perhaps
We used to have a lot of issues with rear differentials if pinion and ring weren't spaced just right. Bearings and seals would then fail all the time. GM, Dana, Toyota, all need attention to detail from the mechanic putting it together.

As you discovered, finding the guy (or gal) with the right amount of attention to detail is a crap shoot most of the time.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sorry for your run of luck here! I attempted an install on my '00 9.25. I'm not sure what I f*d up, but I did something wrong. Just paid my trusted mechanic to do it again, never had an issue after that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956