Rear defrost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awastatyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2015 1500 Laramie. I needed to use my rear defroster for the first time yesterday. I turned the defroster on and noticed that there are no heat strips on the back glass and it took for ever for the back glass to clear up. Is this normal?

Edit: typo

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are now heat strips on the glass? Like burn marks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Awastatyme

Awastatyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are now heat strips on the glass? Like burn marks?

No. I'm just used to seeing heating elements in the glass for the defrost to work. This truck has no elements in the glass but yet has defrost. Not sure how it supposed to work but it did take forever for it to work.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh ok. If there is no visible heater grid, you do not have a rear defroster. Just heater for the mirrors.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Shouldn't take that long, they are supposed to heat up pretty quick. I know i use my mirrors (when they worked) for the humid fog up's and they took about a minute to clear. You can put your hand on the back glass with it on and see if it get's hot, it may have an issue that's a warranty item.

Edit: Just read again and think you had a typo with "now" needing to be "no". If you have no lines on the back glass then you don't have heated rear window as the poster before said it's just for your side mirrors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Awastatyme

Awastatyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Top right corner of the screen and bottom right button by the A/C controls show that I do have rear defroster
TvXmuYo.png

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can see the heating grid in the rear window just like any other car. If it's not there, you don't have it. Those buttons will just activate the exterior mirror heaters.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Rear defroster is an option on most trim levels, but not standard (except maybe on the Limited top trim level).

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you don't see the grid on the rear window then your truck doesn't have rear defrost. You can get the rear defrost with or without the rear slider. The defrost button you have below the front button is for the heated mirrors/rear defrost, it will operate both, if you have both of course.