Smart keyfob not so smart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Airborne63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So now that my warranty has expired my key fob is not working correctly. I cannot do the remote start with mine but with my wife's it will start up. Sometimes when I approach the truck and grab the handle the door will not unlock. I have changed the battery in it, twice. Also the other day I was hitting the remote start repeatedly as I walked up then I got in the truck it took a few minutes for the truck to recognize that the fob was nearby.

Does anyone have a clue whats is happening?

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
Key fob is dying I suppose. If they were both weak, you might be able to blame it on an antenna, but if one works fine and the other is so-so... Do you only have the two?

You can get more keys on ebay and amazon for a lot less than the dealer. They retail about 100 bucks each there. A locksmith should be able to program them for about half of what the dealer charges too. You can have up to 8 keys programmed.

OP
OP
Airborne63

Airborne63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, will check Amazon for another. How many can you have programmed to the truck?

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
So now that my warranty has expired my key fob is not working correctly. I cannot do the remote start with mine but with my wife's it will start up. Sometimes when I approach the truck and grab the handle the door will not unlock. I have changed the battery in it, twice. Also the other day I was hitting the remote start repeatedly as I walked up then I got in the truck it took a few minutes for the truck to recognize that the fob was nearby.

Does anyone have a clue whats is happening?

any chance you just had your truck serviced and they did some flash / computer updates.......?

OP
OP
Airborne63

Airborne63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well just because you put a new battery in does not mean it is a good battery. Yep changed the battery for another one and now it s working. Guess the other so called "new" battery was not so new.