Spark Plug Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it really difficulty to change them?
What is normal average cost at dealer? I know it varies, I am in N.C
Are they easy to get to?
Thinking of doing this myself UNLESS they easily break off.
I have the 5.7 hemi 4x4
Thanks

LittleBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was able to do mine in roughly 45 minutes. I am a shorter guy so access wasn't really an issue not to tight. I didn't have any that came out to hard like they were going to break and honestly the ones on the back driver side weren't the most difficult for me. The ones that were the biggest pain for me were the ones on the back passenger side because of the wire loom on top of the coil. That was just a matter of navigating the coil out around the loom though. I highly recommend getting a magnetic spark plug socket rather than one with the rubber in it, much easier to get on and off and without the rubber there is no chance of it coming out of the socket and staying on the plug. As far as what a dealer would charge though I can't help you much there.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is not difficult to do. I have replaced probably thousands of spark plugs and have never had one in a hemi break on me. Coils are held down with two 10mm bolts each. A quality spark plug socket and a small extension and you are set. The spark plug socket I use has a built in wobbly that makes it really easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSTHokie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
From a quote from a local dealer, they wanted $400. Just do it yourself. It's worth it. Though with a cranky back, it can be a pain leaning over the fenders, lol.

OP
OP
Flip-er

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks all
told a friend his pay back for me helping with a plumbing problem he had was to help me with plug change
he said COOL we can do it
so maybe between us both we will do it.
he knows a lil about motors and has worked auto parts for years

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I feel like a wimp, couldn't get to the driver side back two cylinders. I had to take it on. How in the heck did y'all get to those back two???

OP
OP
Flip-er

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is the quote a local dealer sent me

Kinda shocking I think

The parts run $209.29 before labor and you have a total of 16 plugs. On the Hemi tune ups, it is always recommended to change the pcv valve. It will be roughly $100 less without it but is not advised to skip. Wherever you choose to have your work done, make sure that you use genuine Mopar parts for it. It is very common that when aftermarket parts are used, vehicle owners are running into performance and other drivability issues that relate to just parts in the end.

What say you all?

coleflo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Replaced the plugs in my 2004 last night. $63.00 for the plugs, and $11.00 for the 12 pack of Miller Lite..I drank 4 during.:)

The rear passenger side was more of a pia to me than the ones under the brake booster.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The newer Hemi's run platinum plugs do they not? Should be good for 100k miles.

snotrx 09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Replaced the plugs in my 2004 last night. $63.00 for the plugs, and $11.00 for the 12 pack of Miller Lite..I drank 4 during.:)

The rear passenger side was more of a pia to me than the ones under the brake booster.
Yes I have to agree, drivers side back was the worst so I would recommend starting with the hardest and the rest will be easier. Have a huge assortment of different length extensions on hand with the universal swivel. Put some oil on the rubber of the spark plug socket if you're using that style to make it easier to remove. Not too bad a job, just the rears are tight....that's what she said, lol.

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is my go-to spark plug tool. They're from my 1993 Honda CBR F3 and my 2007 Yamaha R6. The thin wall along with the angled shaft makes life easy for sure.

It took me around 5hrs to gap and change my plugs while BSing with friends. I used the Denso Iridium TT IKH16TT.

Attachments

• 20160529_134327.jpg
    20160529_134327.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 132

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spent 4 hours on Friday night changing mine for the first time. I knew it was a PITA going in, no real surprises. A 6" piece of 3/8" heater hose worked well for putting the new plugs in without dropping them, and getting threads started nicely.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I just did the ones in my 10, to me the hardest 2 cylinders were the passenger back and the booster, neither were actually hard just make sure you have the right tools. A good spark plug socket, multiple extensions to get the right length, and a magnet on a stick. On the booster hole I dropped spark plug socket in to the hole then stuck the extension in and loosened the plug, pulled off the ratchet pulled the extension out ( it's nice to have loose fitting extension for this) then stuck the magnet down in there to get it out as the extension and spark plug socket are to long to be pulled out together. With gaping the new plugs and start to finish took me just under hour and half.

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
Removing the front tires and plastic wheel well liners makes changing the spark plugs a breeze - 2011 Ram 1500 Sport

You have access to everything right in front of you without having to crawl around the top

Under the power brake booster , five minute job

SIMPLE - EASY - FAST