Stalling in the wet, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OfficerJoseph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I have an '01 1500 with a 5.2 and the engine dies when I drive through big puddles.

I already found out that it is a fuel delivery problem. The car has spark because I can get it to run on starter fluid.

I can hear the fuel pump click on and hum so I'm thinking its a sensor or something.

Anyone know what sensors it could be?

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Could be something with the cap/rotor since those are a distributor engine

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

K.Adkins_22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be something with the cap/rotor since those are a distributor engine

My 01 did the same thing. I put cap rotor and plug wires on it and haven't had the problem since

Sent from my treestand

OP
OP
O

OfficerJoseph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I know the problem isn't ignition because I can run the car on starting fluid when it acts up.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Troubles with the engine running / firing in the rain are typically ignition related.

The most common problem is bad spark plug wires - they can get damp/wet, and allow an arc to ground, instead of the plug (or weak at the plug).

The next most common problem is the cap/rotor. Same deal, damp cap can cause arcing to ground.

I'll bet the truck will fire on the starting fluid because it is more combustible than gasoline, allowing a weaker spark to ignite the mixture.

Replace wires/cap/rotor and reassess the situation.

BTW - a failed crank sensor will result in a no-start condition...all the time. They are not common failure points, but can fail. It's just a magnet/pickup coil - so there are no moving parts to fail.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Pop the hood at night when there is a heavy dew/moisture in the air...look for blue sparks in plug wires or cap at night running.

OP
OP
O

OfficerJoseph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
The cap, rotor, and ignition coil have all been replaced.

I just figured that I would at least get sputtering and attempts to run is the problem was the wires. It doesn't even try to run.

I suppose wires are next.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could always start it up and spray it with water from a hose.
Low pressure and one spot at a time. Should show you where the problem is.
Just a thought.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I cracked plug wire is a magnet in moist air...

OP
OP
O

OfficerJoseph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I tried spraying the engine in particular places and nothing happened, so I absolutely drenched the engine compartment and nothing happened immediately but then after a few seconds it started acting up and died.

I'm not convinced it isn't the crank sensor getting wet and shorting out. Ill be replacing it this weekend to see if it makes a difference.

If it doesn't fix it, I'll go to wires next.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
In my honest opinion, working on cars for a living; plugs, wires, cap, rotor and youll be fine. If it was the crank sensor with an intermittent signal loss, youd have a code. It doesnt take much moisture to seep through the cap and give you a misfire

OP
OP
O

OfficerJoseph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Sorry for the late follow fellas, but last weekend I replaced the crank sensor and low and behold shes running like a champ and no amount of water can take her down.

I do have a question though..

There is a rubber grommet type deal around the crank sensor in the bell-housing and mine looks pretty thrashed. I couldn't find a replacement anywhere...

RAMSST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Replacing Plug wires...

Guys,

I found this thread to be very helpful in discovering my spark plug wires were the culprit in rainy days and stalling while driving thru puddles. I had already replaced the coil and distributor. I suppose going 283,000 miles would demand some kind of maintenance like that.

Although, Midas should have done a water test after replacing those parts, I discovered all this after they left one of the spark plug wires out of its secured position and hanging over the manifold to melt and arc... Overall, this post over many other posts saying the crank sensor was likely an issue, the water test is the easiest way to find out what could be the culprit when it comes to moisture issues. Assuming wires are always insulated is also a good way to get yourself stuck somewhere.

I'm still glad I have my Dodge. I might have to start calling it Christine and rub the dashboard a little before I start it up every time! C'mon baby!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963