Suspension 2012 express

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zAchTTACK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello, I've been compounding a list of mods to do to my 2012 1500 regular cab short bed. I have a small list of engine improvements to be done. And now I need to start looking into ideas to improve my handling. The truck was lowered in the rear when I bought it. I've also installed new front sway bar end links. I happened to notice that I don't have a rear sway bar. I don't know if it was removed when it was lowered or if there was one in the first place. On the off chance that the truck came stock without it, has anyone installed one where there wasn't one? What does this entail? I'd also appreciate some tips on other suspension and chassis components and brands. Thanks in advance!

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard of a few guys not having sway bars on the rear. Similar situation to you... bought the truck used and it came (at least when you bought it) without a rear sway bar.

From what I have seen, the common theme of all the trucks that I have seen on the forum that did not have a rear sway bar was that they had been lowered. Now I do not know for sure but I would bet that they removed the rear sway bar because when they lowered it they did not get aftermarket sway bar end links and were forced to remove them due to the stock ones having no adjustment and thus being too long. Or they just run the same end link and have a jacked up setup...

Now I could be completely wrong but if you get under the vehicle I would imagine you could see the holes where the sway bar bracket actually bolts in. If they are there then I would bet it did have a sway bar at one time. Go check out the "lowered" section. There area few different threads on full susp. set ups. I have one called "Best performance suspension setup..." http://www.ramforum.com/f39/best_performance_suspension_setup_2_4_drop-84782/

There is a link in the post for a rear sway bar. Hellwig is the brand. Seems to be pretty much the only rear sway bar available for these trucks (aftermarket). You could always just put a stock one on (assuming your year came with one from the factory, which I can not imagine that it would not)

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
My '15 Express did not come with a sway bar. Ordered an OEM one from AllMoparParts.com . Vast improvement in handling, and easy to install.

CzBlkExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Express regular cabs dont have rear sway bars from the factory but all the mounts on the frame and axle are there. You can buy the oem sway bar or hellwig makes a nice adjustable bar but it doesn't come with endlinks so you will need to order a set of shorter endlinks for your lowered truck. The hellwig bolts right in but I was using Mcgauhys endlinks and the bolt holes on the frame and bar had to drilled out slightly to fit the bolts.