TPMS acting weird, after new wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NUTSHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys here is my issue. I lifted my truck in april put new 22inch fuel hostages on with a dual valve set up. I took my truck out on the beach memorial day and when i aired down i noticed on the dash that the sensors were reading opposite left to right, front to back was good. The pressure in the tires read perfect as well. I thought they were postion sensitive. Well i took it to dodge and they plugged in the comp reprogrammed everything, moved some tires around to make sure everything follwed and they said all was good. I didnt check right away. I took my truck back on the beach two days later and the same issue happened. So went back to dodge this time they said they cant even touch them, cause a senor might be busted and they dont wanna risk ruining my wheels. He said to have the offroad shop check them out, so i ran down there and for the hell of it had him physical move the sensors around, and the same issue aroused. So can anyone figure out what the problem could be, i dont see how they can be broken when the psi is reading fine, its just right to left.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Are they the sensors that came on the truck originally?

Sent From My DROID RAZR MAXX Using Tapatalk 2

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I've been having some strange issues with my sensors too, and I have hostages (not that that matters). My front 2 tires readings are switched, and the back right one sometimes doesn't register. I took it to Discount Tire and they said they probably forgot to re-sync the computer to the sensor when they rotated them last time. So he took care of it for me, but it's still doing it. It's strange. My sensors are the original sensors but with an aftermarket hardware kit for them.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I've been having some strange issues with my sensors too, and I have hostages (not that that matters). My front 2 tires readings are switched, and the back right one sometimes doesn't register. I took it to Discount Tire and they said they probably forgot to re-sync the computer to the sensor when they rotated them last time. So he took care of it for me, but it's still doing it. It's strange. My sensors are the original sensors but with an aftermarket hardware kit for them.

that doesn't make sense....the oem sensors do not need re-synced after rotation....They do it automatically.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
for instance right now i don't have any sensors, but if i was to put on wheels with the sensors after a few miles of driving it recognizes them and everything is is good to go. take them off and it takes few miles for the system to show that they are missing.

OP
OP
NUTSHEMI

NUTSHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are they the sensors that came on the truck originally?

Sent From My DROID RAZR MAXX Using Tapatalk 2

Yes they are

that doesn't make sense....the oem sensors do not need re-synced after rotation....They do it automatically.

Thats what I thought. Thats why I don't get, why they are reading fine front to back, but not left to right. And even after they supposably reprogrammed them to are doing it again.

Robb13425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
well rather than making a new thread, I am going to piggyback this one.

My TPMS issue....

bought 2009 ram 1500 with dealer installed aftermarket wheels, TPMS worked fine for 3 years, traded 09 for 2012 ram 1500 and swapped the wheels over. they reset the TPMS and all was well for a few days/miles until the light came on and the system is not responding.

the truck is now states away from the installing dealer...first dealer was no help, second dealer was quick with a quote for $485 for new sensors, third dealer (called the installing dealer) says the sensors are in fact different 09 sensors are for 07-09 and the other are for 10-13.

anyone confirm, opinions?

300MAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well rather than making a new thread, I am going to piggyback this one.

My TPMS issue....

bought 2009 ram 1500 with dealer installed aftermarket wheels, TPMS worked fine for 3 years, traded 09 for 2012 ram 1500 and swapped the wheels over. they reset the TPMS and all was well for a few days/miles until the light came on and the system is not responding.

the truck is now states away from the installing dealer...first dealer was no help, second dealer was quick with a quote for $485 for new sensors, third dealer (called the installing dealer) says the sensors are in fact different 09 sensors are for 07-09 and the other are for 10-13.

anyone confirm, opinions?

Yes, there different between 09 and 12, do you still have your orginal from your 2012 wheels so you swap them over?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
^^^ what he said, but no way I would pay dealer price for the sensors. You can get them much cheaper on ebay

Robb13425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks guys

putting on a level kit this week and may change the tire size, so I needed to resolve this to get it done at the same time.

are all sensors created equal? I mean dealer, ebay, discount tire...all have the same form, fit and function, auto calibrate, etc.?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Not sure but you can get oem sensors on eBay at a fraction of the cost of buying them from the dealer

rockyb_78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TPMS acting weird

I am having TPMS reading problems as well. The rear tires take turns not being read by the monitor. I just bought the 2010, 2500 Ram. At the same time of this TPMS problem, I also had the change oil alarm going. So I finally got around to reseting the change oil alarm and the TPMS has acted fine since. What possible connection could there be to the oil change alarm and the TPMS, or is this purely coincidental that the TPMS problem stopped when I reset the oil alarm?