trailer brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beep119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys, bought a new 2012 ram 1500 sport. Only thing it didn't have, which I wish it did is the trailer brake controller.
I have been looking into it and it seems that if you buy the parts separately it is much cheaper. At the dealer for the kit part #82212548 is $300...ouch!
But, if you buy the parts off online it is only about $120.
I just want to make sure if the parts online are correct...
What I have found is the trailer brake controller is #68146918AA about $105
The bezel (i have the slate grey) #1EB13XDVAA is $10.

What I want to know is are the parts #68146918AA and #1EB13XDVAA what is in the kit #82212548? Besides screws..
Just trying to figure if I buy the parts separate it is less then half the price, but is the part numbers the same, or is the kit for 2012's and the brake controller different then previous models?

Hope everyone understands my question.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
hey bud, did you every get your answer?

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
If you are still up in the air, I might recommend you not get the "integrated" controller to install. The controls on it are pretty sloppy compared to the better aftermarket controllers you can get for a lower/similar price.

Not that the plastic is loose, just that it doesn't have the same adjustability as other controllers, especially when using it on heavier trailers.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know many people like the OEM look and I do too, but my suggestion when it come to brake controllers is to install a Prodigy P3. I also belong to an RV forum and by FAR, Prodigy is the most popular and recommended controller. I've even seen people with factory controllers install the prodigy.

Prodigies are great controllers and if you have the trailer connector on the bumper, the controller is plug and play with the connector that should be under the dash.

Dawgcentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had both. The Prodigy I had in my '99 worked really well. I think the best feature was the boost settings, which come in handy on steep, gravel hills. The OEM I have on the '12 works just fine so far, but the only real feature I like about it is the fact that it's built in, and out of the way.