Trans fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I'm approaching some higher miles I'm planning to do a fluid swap on the 6speed but what fluid to use. I generally run schaeffers oil but last time I swapped their full syn into my 48re it burnt the band and wouldn't move. Any recommendations OEM fluid or higher end fluid?

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I need to do mine soon too, plan on running Amsoil. Is there a write up anywhere on how to do a proper flush on a 4th gen?

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Its a pretty simple process. I folowed my Chilton manual.

1. drop the back bolts. you will need to break the seal which is a silicone seal.
2. drain the pan into yoru container. slowly working it off.
3. remove the pan filter and the screw on return-line filter.
4. remove and discard old o-ring from the pan filter where it is stuck in the body of hte trans. be careful not to gouge the trans.
5. clean all old silicone off the transmission and off the rim of the pan.
5. I cleaned my pan out really good with some parts cleaner.
6. replace trans cooler line filter and pan filter. for pan filter put o-ring on the filter first then insert it into the trans body.
7. place a nice pretty new bead of high temp RTV silicone on the trans pan rim.
8. stick it to the trans and hold with a few bolts as you bolt everything back.
9. replace the fliud you removed. I dont recall the quarts for sure.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, the procedure listed above is just for filter replacement, not sire on this tranny but most take 4-5 quarts in the pan but have a full fluid capacity of 20-30 something quarts. I will take mine to a shop that can hook it up to a piece of equipment, I used to use them when I worked a oil change place in my teens. just taps into the tranny cooler lines and pumps the new in and the old out.

Bakaehler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I switched my Trans oil over to Amsoil and have been very happy with it

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Technically the best thing to do is drop the pan,change both filters and do a flush. That way you change all the fluid and the filters. Dropping the pan only gets about 1/2-3/4 the fluid out. I strongly recommend dropping the pan over a flush, the sump filter on the 545/645rfe have been known to crack or come loose. The problem with a flush is that if you haven't been doing them at the specified intervals you risk running into issues. A lot of times a flush on a higher mileage trans ends up freeing debris and then circulates it through the system causing bad things.

As for fluid, use the OE stuff, it's already a full synthetic and has everything your transmission needs to be healthy.

If you drop the pan, and you should, it will take around 6L of fluid.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, the procedure listed above is just for filter replacement, not sire on this tranny but most take 4-5 quarts in the pan but have a full fluid capacity of 20-30 something quarts. I will take mine to a shop that can hook it up to a piece of equipment, I used to use them when I worked a oil change place in my teens. just taps into the tranny cooler lines and pumps the new in and the old out.

Fluid exchange machines are excellent! I've done the 'same' at home with a hose, bucket, and an equal amount of new oil, but the machines are far nicer!

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
resurrect a dead thread here. Since my service, I have had a few trans issues. sometimes after first starting it takes it a bit to go into gear. Culminated yesterday with the trans going into Limp mode and throwing a Low line pressure code. took it to local dealership and $250 later, it was determined the new pan filter I installed was loose where it attached to pump intake. This caused low pressures setting off the code. FORTUNATELY, i was close to a dealer.

$170.15 for 7 Quarts of fluid, 2 new filters and the pan dropped and redone (redo of the service I had done)
$55 for hooking it to the computer to read the code.
$ales Tax.

Glad it was a simple fix and I didnt burn any clutches up.

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
resurrect a dead thread here. Since my service, I have had a few trans issues. sometimes after first starting it takes it a bit to go into gear. Culminated yesterday with the trans going into Limp mode and throwing a Low line pressure code. took it to local dealership and $250 later, it was determined the new pan filter I installed was loose where it attached to pump intake. This caused low pressures setting off the code. FORTUNATELY, i was close to a dealer.

$170.15 for 7 Quarts of fluid, 2 new filters and the pan dropped and redone (redo of the service I had done)
$55 for hooking it to the computer to read the code.
$ales Tax.

Glad it was a simple fix and I didnt burn any clutches up.

Did you use OEM filters? I'm getting close to 60,000 miles and I want to do a DIY trans oil change.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I used what O'Reilly sold me so not oem. Do your self a favor. Buy the oem here. I did mine just as the Chilton manual specified.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Black Limited 1500
Engine
Hemi
I just did the pan drop and mopar trany filter,
I did let the trany drip for some time, the longer you let it drip the more fluid that will come out, I put 9gts back in, 15-16gts system

jon0m0berry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did a filter change, it took about 7 quarts. I used Valvoline atf+4 and lucas. it took me awhile to do but it also was my first time doing one. it was pretty straight forward. but if you want a full flush firestone told me its 17-18 quarts total. but I think the pan and filter will get a good amount changed over, and with the help of lucas that youll be fine.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck is just over 90k on the ticker... its time for a full fluid change. I made a appointment this friday with the dealer to do a full fluid change. they have the pump system to change it all out and filter too

Jdperry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is just over 90k on the ticker... its time for a full fluid change. I made a appointment this friday with the dealer to do a full fluid change. they have the pump system to change it all out and filter too

I'm at 75k on mine

armstrong87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I brought mine to the dealership and let them do it haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member