Transmission maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So the time has come to do some maintenance on my truck as she has just over 35000 miles.

My question comes from my experience at my dealer today. I asked how much it is to do a fluid change and service guy says $169.99. Not a terrible price I am thinking labor filters I think there is two filters and all that ATF+4.

Well continue talking and he says they don't replace filters just "flush" the system. HUGE RED FLAG!!!

I am not an expert but have had about 10 vehicles and never done a transmission. Seems to me a person would be better off changing the filters and not changing the fluid if I was going to choose.

Why should I choose though? That is what is bugging me. Why would they not be changing the filters and as much ATF as possible. When I change my motor oil I never choose I do both and the filter is the most important part just ask any Amsoil person.

Just looking for some discussion on this and I would also like to know what your local dealer says.

$miley

Heath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
So if they do a flush are they not dropping the pan or draining it?? Not sure how that can even be done. If the pan comes off, the filter change is a no brainer.
Something doesn't sound right there.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
BG has a Trans flush system that I bet they are using. You hook up two quick connects in the test ports on the trans and push out the old fluid with the new. I have seen it done before but didnt go in depth with why the filters were not changed also.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I went to my local pepboys and asked about the same thing. Including the filter change and all got a proce for 143.99 just waiting on the trans oil from the dealership.

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
They called me today and want $299 if filters are changed too I am not going to have them do it. I'll figure out a way to do it myself they are insane. I think I have a connection to using a machine and I am not afraid to rip that pan off and do the filters they are not tough. Any one know about importance of adjusting bands while in there?

$miley

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I did drain and filter no flush. I don't like idea of flush. Transmission shop I went to said flush is not needed ever and filters are he ever suggests as a flush is just a money maker for dealer not better for the truck. My truck shifts better and I feel good about it. To each his own I guess.

$miley

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recommend not doing a flush, but drop the pan and change both filters and the gasket and add about 6 new quarts of ATF+4.

When you drop the pan, you drain about 6 quarts there, including the filters. So 6/14 is pretty good. Not sure about the 4th gen though...

durango4819

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
anyone know what transmission is in a 4th gen? reading this thread gives me goosebumps, i had so many horror stories trying to get my transmission right in my R/T

joetama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Trans flush? Hell no!

Around these parts a lot of folks are believers of don't change it if something isn't wrong. This never made much sense to me.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
lmao, i called my dealer the other day to schedule one, 140, i said i want the pan dropped and the filter changed, not a flush. he said "we dont do the flushes, there dumb" "who changes fluid and no filters" i like this guy. BTW i changed my coolant yesterday, not a hard job at all.

joetama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
lmao, i called my dealer the other day to schedule one, 140, i said i want the pan dropped and the filter changed, not a flush. he said "we dont do the flushes, there dumb" "who changes fluid and no filters" i like this guy. BTW i changed my coolant yesterday, not a hard job at all.

Motor oil easy. Trans not bad. But I hate coolant.

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
54RFE 5 speed

$miley

LIKEABOSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I run several A+ Transmission shops in Houston. JUST DO A DRAIN AND FILL. PUT IN NEW FILTERS WHILE YOUR AT IT. nothing scary no big deal. Anything more than $100 to do that you are getting ripped off.....big time.

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
This debate has raged ever since the first flush machines hit the market. Personally, I prefer a flush in most cases because it gets ALL the old fluid and contaminants. Lets face it, unless there's internal damage, how often has anyone seen a stopped up filter? I'm not advocating never changing filters by any means, but I don't believe it needs to be done every time. ATF+4 is engineered to go up to 100k miles but I change mine at 30k just because it's cheap and easy for me to do. I do a flush at the first 30k then a traditional filter and fluid change at 60k.

AlTheKiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I work at a dodge shop and do drain and fills as well as flushes all the time. i personally wouldnt bother doing flushes on the transmission. i hate that damn machine.

its easier to just pull the pan and filter

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
An infomercial? Really?

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would appear. Resurrected a thread from six months ago to advertise his product.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
An infomercial? Really?

It would appear. Resurrected a thread from six months ago to advertise his product.

That has been handled.

Just a reminder guys, if you see a post like that pop up on here, please report it and we'll look into it. Just click on the triangle with the exclamation point on the left side of the screen under that users info. We do our best to keep spam to a minimum but sometimes they slip through

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
lol...i was reading this thread like it was a new one....then i saw the old dates

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Lol, sorry!! Next time I will report it.