Truck dash flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RalphV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lone star 5.7 hemi
hello guys/gals. I am new on here and thought I would ask and see if any of you have see my issue before as my local dealer cant find or fix the issue. First off I bought a 2015 lone star 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. when driving on the hi way I notice the main cluster will flash off and the speedo will bounce around for a sec or 2 and then come back on. Sunday I was making a right hand turn and it flashed off and threw it self into park by it self. The dealer looks at me like I'm an idiot till I showed him a small vid I took with my cell when it flashes off. scares the heck out of me to drive it with my wife and kids and this is the second time I take it in for this. the first time the guy tells me it was because I had the display showing the average miles per gallon and not the miles per hour. since then I left it in the MPH and that was when it jumped in to park while driving. I am sure the tranny has some sort of damage also as when that happened we heard a noise go something like this "click, click, click, Bang". Now I got a call from the dealer this morning and he is asking if I have any other key on my keyfob as this may be pulling the keyfob out of the key port on the dash (Who the hell does not have other keys on their key ring)? Any Ideas would be helpful as I am thinking they are going to give it back the same as the last 2 times. I know 3 times for the same thing is considered a lemon via the lemon law but want to know what you think? Sorry I do not know how to add videos. Thanks Video = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-E-EXN8Jpo

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as the display screen blinking because you have it on average miles per gallon your dealer is just throwing things out there trying to make excuses for whatever is going on. You can keep your display wherever you like it that's what it's for. I have had mine on average miles per gallon since I bought my truck and I had zero issues. Ask him to show you the literature that states that you cannot keep your screen where you want it. As far as your truck throwing itself into park there is definitely some type of an electronic glitch going on with it which is also probably why the display screen is flashing. There is no cable going to your transmision. It is all conroled by wires and modules and obviously you have some type of problem in the system.There's a guy on here on the Forum who is from Ram cares I guess it's a social outlet for them you may want to see if he can help you with this situation because obviously your dealer is not qualified or trying to BS you out of thinking you have a problem.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Run far away from that dealer and fast.. they're idiots.
There is a loose harness or bad module is why the dash is flashing and the trans going into park. It doesn't matter what screen or how you have the dash set will cause it to flash or shut off.
As far as the keyfob being pulled out of the ignition, you don't even have to stick the keyfob into the dash, just hold it against the ring and use your finger to start the truck.

OP
OP
R

RalphV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lone star 5.7 hemi
Thanks for the advice guys. Here is the update. After 4 days and driving my truck for almost 200 miles the were able to find the issue it was a lose ground wire. They did not say exactly where just that it was but the battery. One main thing I have notice is my driving is the same but my mpg has gone from around 14.5 to 17 from the time I dropped it off till yesterday afternoon when I picked it up. Good news for me. Time for a road trip.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I do not doubt the ground issue but you may also want to pop the covers on all your fuse panels and push it each fuse and relays to make sure it is fully seated. Wranglers also had like issues with their dash stuff and many found the fuses not fully seated from the factory.

Glad yours was fixed.