Vibration in pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jammons5126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I jut bought this 2011 dodge ram and every now an then I get a small bit of vibration that I can feel in my gas pedal. Can anyone explain why it's doing that?

SMITHY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Mine does it too. If you look at all the forums, we are not the only ones. I just think these Dodge's are prone to vibration problems and issues.

COPGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Same problem with my 2009 Sport. Drives me nuts sometimes.

OP
OP
J

jammons5126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Ok. I just figured being new and all I didn't think I would have that problem. Thanks for the feed back.

SMITHY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
Engine
4.7 Magnum
No it sucks for sure. Takes alot of getting used to. Mine not only does it in the pedal but all around.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine did it to took it to dealer they replaced the goodyears that were on it and problem solved got new rims and new tires and still going good.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have had it in the brake pedal. It is only when I am about to come to a complete stop and I start to slide on the ice. It's done it 3 times now.

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its been a known issue with the 4th gen trucks, and no fix for it yet. I believe its being caused by the MDS.
It will be interesting to know if the 2012 trucks have the same issues as the 09 10 11 trucks have.
Supposidly the 2012 trucks also have a different torque converter as well, i`m guessing it solves alot of vibrations and noises that the 09 10 11 had as well. Maybe the newer TC solves the buzzing in the gas pedals, steering wheels, drivers seat. I`m not putting alot of faith in it though.

Last edited:

RP11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought my 2011 a couple of months ago and asked that question to the technician at the dealership he looked at me like I was mental. He claims to have called a Ram engineer to verify it was normal.

I also noticed that when come to a slow stop there is something that feels like a downshift about 5 seconds after coming to a complete stop.

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its been a known issue with the 4th gen trucks, and no fix for it yet. I believe its being caused by the MDS.
It will be interesting to know if the 2012 trucks have the same issues as the 09 10 11 trucks have.
Supposidly the 2012 trucks also have a different torque converter as well, i`m guessing it solves alot of vibrations and noises that the 09 10 11 had as well. Maybe the newer TC solves the buzzing in the gas pedals, steering wheels, drivers seat. I`m not putting alot of faith in it though.

I doubt it has anything to do with mds. My 4.7 shakes too. Not alot but often. Mines also my whole truck not just gas pedal. I should see if dealer will put tires on mine for free since that's what i think it is too

(Tapatalk)

SMITHY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
Engine
4.7 Magnum
The dealer did my tires too and I still had it. Solved the steering wheel problem. But now I got rid of those tires for the larger ones. I wish I would have known about this problem before buying it. I think it is in the drive train.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i have not noticed this at all.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7

Mine did it in 5th gear when mds was off like i said try getting the tires replaced it fixed mine and head it helped alot of others to. My mds come on now with my new rims and tires and no vibration

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had it in the brake pedal. It is only when I am about to come to a complete stop and I start to slide on the ice. It's done it 3 times now.

I believe what you`re experiencing is pedal kickback from the anti-lock brakes and it makes noise.
You have a wheel or two sliding and you hear a rattly buzzing sound and feeling it in the pedal.
So, my question to you is, do you only hear and feel this buzzing when the truck slides...?

Last edited:

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of what alot of people are experiencing, is a buzzing sensation in the gas pedal. Some people are also feeling it in the steering wheel and the drivers seat. (not ALL hemi trucks do it, but some worse than others is for sure) This vibration/buzz IS coming from the engine. It is a frequency vibration that seems to effect the HEMI trucks due to the engine design. I`ve done a ton of research on it and that seems to be the majority of complaints i`ve found.

Here is another complaint: (neither issue is caused by the other)
I have a buddie of mine that JUST bought a brand new 2011 HEMI 4x4 CC, it buzz`s TERRIBLE thru the gas pedal AND the steering wheel...!
He ALSO, has the torque converter rumble as well. I gave him the "STAR CASE" number to give to his dealer and they ordered a brand new updated torque converter that fix`s this issue with the rumbling sound heard while in overdrive/full lockup.

The problem with the torque converter is the turbine hub and spline have way too much play, and when it tries to go into full lock-up, it shudders horribly. The sound it makes sounds like an A/C compressor that is over filled and straining to work to hard. Another example of what it sounds like, is an air compressor running.

So actually, ther are 2 different things going on with these trucks.
(1) Torque converter issue (rumbling/rattling)
(2) MDS issue (intermittin buzzing felt in gas pedal)
BOTH issues are usually found at low rpm`s (1400 to 1700rpms & 40 to 60 mph)

This is the fix for the torque converter:
Take this number to your dealership and have them look it up.
The dealers ARE very aware of it, dont let them BS you...!
Star Case: #S1121000005
Release Date: 6/30/11

Hope this sheds some light on these issues for you guys, and hope it helps you too.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
great info man. Hopefully that star case number can help these guys out

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of what alot of people are experiencing, is a buzzing sensation in the gas pedal. Some people are also feeling it in the steering wheel and the drivers seat. (not ALL hemi trucks do it, but some worse than others is for sure) This vibration/buzz IS coming from the engine. It is a frequency vibration that seems to effect the HEMI trucks due to the engine design. I`ve done a ton of research on it and that seems to be the majority of complaints i`ve found.

I have a buddie of mine that JUST bought a brand new 2011 HEMI 4x4 CC, it buzz`s TERRIBLE thru the gas pedal AND the steering wheel...!
He ALSO, has the torque converter rumble as well. I gave him the "STAR CASE" number to give to his dealer and they ordered a brand new updated torque converter that fix`s this issue with the rumbling sound heard while in overdrive/full lockup.

The problem with the torque converter is the turbine hub and spline have way too much play, and when it tries to go into full lock-up, it shudders horribly. The sound it makes sounds like an A/C compressor that is over filled and straining to work to hard. Another example of what it sounds like, is an air compressor running.

Hope this sheds some light on these issues for you guys, and hope it helps you too.

dang good info...thanks

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Damn here I never had the vibration but had the shudder so they replaced the torque converter. Now I have no shudder but I do have the vibration through gas pedal now. I guess I need to upgrade to an edge TC.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn here I never had the vibration but had the shudder so they replaced the torque converter. Now I have no shudder but I do have the vibration through gas pedal now. I guess I need to upgrade to an edge TC.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Ok, i`m not really good in how to explain things sometimes, so bare with me and i`ll try.

Some that have had the torque converter replaced with the newly updated one, say that it fix`s their buzzing gas pedals. Its does NOT fix it, it just release`s the buzzing thru a better locked up torque converter. Always remember one thing, a problem will always follow the path of least resistance. Thats why some feel that the new TC is fixing it. Its not, because the vibration can sometimes make it thru to the transmission easier and die there, hence not going up thru the body parts of the truck.

Ther are 2 known ways to stop the buzzing (which is usually felt while driveing in slower traffic, or city driving) Here is one method (1) Drop the gear selector down into 5th while in slow traffic. (2) Buy a programmer and shut the MDS completely off.

Another method (which i dont condone, or advize doing) to kill the buzzing...
change your engine oil to 10w30, or 10w40, that will render the MDS useless.
The thicker oil doesnt flow thru the MDS circut very well, cause`s it to stop functioning. Some people have also experienced a check engine light due to the MDS not working properly because they stopped using 5w20 motor oil.

When my wife drives my truck and feels the buzzing, she giggle`s. I`m not sure what THATS all about, but i`ll be taking some notes on it though...lol.:naughty:

Anyhow....
I dont have a problem with the dealerships replacing the TC on a brand new truck, but what i DO have a problem with, will it be done correctly. I dont have alot of faith in dealerships due to THEIR greed. Making money is all most of them care about. The days of having a great mechanic are few and far between that cares highly for their customer. I`m not saying they`re ALL like that, but at least 95% are.

I really hope this helps some of you guys, i know some of us are frustrated for what we paid for these trucks, myself included. If i can be of ANY other assistance with my knowledge, i`ll be GLAD to help out in any way i can. I have many many yrs experience turning wrench`s, kinda know my way around the automotive industry pretty good