When to change the oil...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huff2462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is a risiculous noob question but...

A few weeks ago, at 9,500 miles, I took my truck in for its first oil change at the dealership (the onboard computer said my oil life was at 5%)

When I picked it up, I noticed they reset the oil life monitor and it looks like I won't need an oil change for another 10k miles, roughly.

BUT... the dealership put an oil change sticker in the upper corner of my windshield that says I should change it in 3k miles or 3 months.

So should I pay attention to the onboard computer "measuring" the oil life? Or to the dealership's sticker?

Thanks guys,

-
'13 RAM 1500 Big Horn, 5.7L Hemi, 8-sp trans, 4x4, 3.21 gears

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Personally, I go by color as an indication.

If you drive a lot in town, have lots of COLD starts and idling up to temperature or get to where ever you need to be before the engine has properly warmed up, you should probably change it every 5k or so. Either way, don't listen to what the dealership says. lol 3k is just generic.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Who is paying? If dealership is paying, go for it. Anyhow, check my signature for the synthetic oil thread, if you are going 10 thousand miles before changes you will want an oil like Penzoil Ultra or Platinum, or if you plan on going further like 15 to 20k, you will want something like Amsoil SS or Redline Oil. At any rate check your oil to make sure there is at least some molybdenum, it does benefit your lifters. You can double check that here.

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
As a general rule of thumb I change mine every 5k miles. I drive approximately 25k miles per year and this rule has treated me very well. I've easily put 100k+ on all my vehicles. I'm not hard on my vehicles but we have 4 seasons here on Long Island so the temps do swing throughout the year. Since I do change my oil as much as I do, I don't spend my money on synthetics. I'm sure I'm going to catch flak for this, but I'm a little old school and can't in good conscience drive 10k miles before I change my oil. That's not a dig against any who does, it's just my opinion. As stated in the above post, if you do shorter trips you should change it more frequently.