Wiring in a mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bearmedic13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so i am looking to add an air compressor to my truck for an up coming mod and am having trouble with the wiring. I am hooking in a Momentary Switch and a toggle so i can kill the momentary if needed. This is all going on my Air horn set up is the reason for the momentary. But i only want the compressor to come on if the ignition is on, as not to drain my battery. Any ideas on a good location to wire this in? will be running the wire in a few weeks just waiting on funds for the horns.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let me show my buddy this thread. He did train horns in his 3rd gen and his new truck(2012 express)

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Just add a relay that runs off the ignition hot wire, then if the ignition is off, the relay won't pass power.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
What kind of set up are you using?
Any direct compressor driven air horn isn't going to sound very good
You'll need an air tank as well. My airhorns don't have a compressor actually, I just have a 5 gallon tank I fill up at home
If you plan on running a compressor to a tank then you can install a pressure switch in the tank with a toggle switch
Your momentary switch is going to be on another circuit

I have a relay from my momentary switch but it isn't necessary. The solenoid only pulls 3.5 amps
I have my momentary switch wired from the cigerette lighter that only has power while the key is on so they cant be used unless you have the key
Your compressor should be hard wired from the battery with an inline fuse

OP
OP
Bearmedic13

Bearmedic13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. I was think of using a tank and compressor. Using the same setup that is on my ambulance. Was afraid if I hardwired it to the battery if I got a pin hole in the tubing it would drain my battery running not stop.

Sent from my iPhone

RompinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Hey stang, where did you mount your tank? I really like the idea of not having to put a compressor in. I would like to do something like this. Sorry for the thread jack!

Tapatalk'in

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
You can use a relay from a toggle switch
A switch alone can't handle the current that the compressor pulls
If I was doing it I would wire a toggle switch(i like the idea of using a hot wire that only has power while the ignition is on) to a pressure switch and from the pressure switch to the relay(85 pin I think) then another wore from the battery to an inline fuse to the relay(30 pin) (86 pin to ground)
Then from the 87 pin to your compressor
This setup would only allow the compressor to run while the truck was on, the toggle was on and when ever your pressure drops to the designated pressure of the pressure switch

Then you momentary switch will Be a separate circuit from a hot wire to the solenoid (with a relay to if you'd like but not necessary)

Its alot of wire an alot of switches but IMO its the best way to wire it

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hey stang, where did you mount your tank? I really like the idea of not having to put a compressor in. I would like to do something like this. Sorry for the thread jack!

Tapatalk'in

I have it shoved under te tool box lol
If you click on my sig theres some pictures of it all in tere somewhere

It's not bad not having a compressor but I'll be putting one in once it's in the budget

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Just power it with a relay, that way you can draw lots of current if you need to anyway, then it's always off w/o ignition power.

Also, I had a set of air horns, 7, 10, 13 in respectively that were powered directly by an air compressor. Used a relay powered off the battery that switched off the horn wiring harness, and worked flawlessly. Bought a new truck though, and never swapped them over lol

Update: My browser didn't load the second half of the page so the first part of this is pointless lol.

I agree with the above circuit, you could probably cut the kill switch though. As long as the relay is only ignition hot, no point in running the extra wires into the cab, or even adding a switch. I mean if you ever get that massive of a problem just pull the fuse, and you would want to fix the leak anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye