Wiring question: adding 4 prong trailer connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am trying to add an additional 4 prong connector for my tail light led bar. I am trying to locate the "Left" - "Right" - "Taillight" wires from the factory 7 wire trailer harness. Red/blue (Power) - Black (Ground) - Green (?) - Brown(?) - White/Orange (?) - White/Red (?) - White/Green (?).

OP
OP
J

Jimmy2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do have a 4 pin and a 7 pin from the factory, what I am wanting to do is "ADD" and additional 4 pin plug to the factory harness behind the bumper to plug in the LED light bar as stated in the original post. Thanks for trying to help.

Hemitom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do have a 4 pin and a 7 pin from the factory, what I am wanting to do is "ADD" and additional 4 pin plug to the factory harness behind the bumper to plug in the LED light bar as stated in the original post. Thanks for trying to help.

Sorry i miss read the original post. it will teach me to look better next time. now just another question...why?? why don't you use the original 4 way? are both being used a the same time?? remember if you start messing with the wires you might end up with problems you really don't want.

Danimal77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
beacuse on the 4th gens, it is built into the bumper and visible. That means the led bar he wants to add, the plug and wire are always seen. If he wires a "additional", behind the bumper...it's a much cleaner looking install. At least that is my take and why I want to add an extra one.

Hemitom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
beacuse on the 4th gens, it is built into the bumper and visible. That means the led bar he wants to add, the plug and wire are always seen. If he wires a "additional", behind the bumper...it's a much cleaner looking install. At least that is my take and why I want to add an extra one.

I didnt even think of that...thanks for pointing that out for me...

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I have the recon light bar and I tapped into the wires going to the combo plug. Problem is I did not note what wires I tapped to. I just used a multimeter and saw which one was what. I'll have to see if the 2009 service manual has that info.

here is what the back of mine looks like.

6887722748_fd66ac8c93_b.jpg

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm really late to this but my dad has a T adapter on his that gives him an extra 4 pin (exactly what your looking for)
Your unplug the harness from behind the bumper and just plug this between it
Something like this but with a 7 pin
draw-tite_t-one_t-connector.jpg

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
well that would work. It seems tight in space back there with the spare tire though. Or I should say a full size spare not sure on the temp spare since I don't have one anymore. Where can you get that. I haven't seen that in auto part stores yet.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all your replies

Thanks for all the replies: Anyone wanting to tap into the 7 wire trailer harness, you can get a 18 gauge 4 wire trailer adapter at Walmart for $4.97. It will have a male and female, I just clipped the male adapter off and stripped wires and tapped directly into wiring harness right by the spare tire. Note: (if you want to make it easier to get to the wiring and make all the connections, you might want to drop the spare and get it out of the way. - Spent more time wiggling around it than it would have taken to drop it out of the way).

Truck Side wiring:
White/Orange - connects to the Yellow (Left Turn Signal) Walmart connector
White/Green - connects to the Green (Right Turn Signal) Walmart connector
Brown - connects to the Brown (Running Lights) Walmart connector
Black - connects to the White (Ground Wire) Walmart connector

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
well that would work. It seems tight in space back there with the spare tire though. Or I should say a full size spare not sure on the temp spare since I don't have one anymore. Where can you get that. I haven't seen that in auto part stores yet.

He got his from a truck accessory place
I found them on etrailer before but have had a hard time finding them again
Let me try again and see what I can come up with

Ray0214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Direct wiring light bar on rear

I have the same question . I want to direct wire a tailgate light bar into the wiring harnes on the factory installed 4 prong and 7 prong trailer plug. The light bar has the typical green yellow brown and white. The back of the plug has 7 wires: red and black; brown; green; black; white and red; white and orange; white and green. Which wires do I connect the light to (green, yellow, brown, and white. Light bar also has a white wire for backup lights.. Does that connect to the plug. 2010 dodgr ram

Ray0214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the replies: Anyone wanting to tap into the 7 wire trailer harness, you can get a 18 gauge 4 wire trailer adapter at Walmart for $4.97. It will have a male and female, I just clipped the male adapter off and stripped wires and tapped directly into wiring harness right by the spare tire. Note: (if you want to make it easier to get to the wiring and make all the connections, you might want to drop the spare and get it out of the way. - Spent more time wiggling around it than it would have taken to drop it out of the way).

Truck Side wiring:
White/Orange - connects to the Yellow (Left Turn Signal) Walmart connector
White/Green - connects to the Green (Right Turn Signal) Walmart connector
Brown - connects to the Brown (Running Lights) Walmart connector
Black - connects to the White (Ground Wire) Walmart connector
My light bar also has a white wire for the backup lights... Do you know the best place to connect for backups?

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Use cavity 7 on the 7 pin harness

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk