04 1500 axle change to 3/4 ton axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I currently have a 04 ram 1500 4x4 and it has the corporate 9 axle with 3.92 gears in it. I have (what I figure to be) problems of the clutch packs burning out, yes the additive has been added in every change of the fluid (approx 20,000-30,000 miles). The truck does haul a lot of weight and think this might be part of the problem. I have recently replaced the cancerous bed with a home made flatbed dump box (approx 300lbs more than the original box) and am adding airbag suspension on top of having the original springs. The truck is still going to be hauling a bunch of weight as I work on firewood often. I was thinking about switching to a 3/4 ton axle (from a gasser 2500) but not too sure about the gearing. The only ones I have found so far are that are close are the 10.5 3.73 axles, and with mine being the 3.92 what would that do to my front end if used on slick terrain like mud and snow? It cost me over $3500 to have the front axle rebuilt and cant afford to switch that out to the 3.73 or rebuild it again.

On a side note, the current packs in the rear axle have been the longest standing at a current 62,000 (usually have to change them out about every 20,000 to 30,000). The pack kits arent that expensive but am concerned with the bearings holding up also. If I stick with the corporate 9 is there a heavy duty bearing I can use in it to hold up, or is this axle built to handle this kind of stress and weight?

Thank you in advance for any insight you might be able to share!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you don't have the same gear ratio in both differentials you basically will have a 2wd truck. As soon as you put it in 4wd it will bind everything up and start breaking ****.

If you haul enough weight that you have such common issues with your diffs like this, I would honestly just look at getting a 2500 or 3500 truck. Even if you did swap to 2500 axles (the front would be interesting because you have IFS now) the frame and brakes of the truck are still not meant for more than about 9k lbs towing. And actually going from 3.92 gears to 3.73 gears will reduce your towing capacity even more, even though they are the heavier duty axles.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your burning the LSD clutch pads out, switch the rear differential out to Detroit Truetrac or Locker

OP
OP
L

Luke M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you guys! I don't tow a whole lot with this, the max I have done is about 7500# camper. I will haul loads of wood in a trailer but that's still under the 9000 mark. Mainly I run it in the bed now that I have the hydraulic dump on her. The packs are fairly cheap and easy enough to replace (the current set though is my longest living ones though lol). I guess I am mainly concerned about the axle shafts and bearings now. I have had her loaded with just over a ton to go to the back yard but the light road loads are killing the gas. At this time the 2500 and 3500 (more likely to go for the 3500) are out of the realm of affordability at this time so I was hoping to try this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel